• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1997 Fiat Allis FL-145C questions

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
Environmental Services Director
Hi Guys,

I am looking at and thinking about a new project. I wanted to ask you Guys if parts can still be found for the Fiat Allis, and if there is a particular issue that is the weak link when this make/model stops moving? The people selling it have 3 or 4 pieces of equipment for sale (all listed as needing work). So that tells me they should know enough about this loader to know that it is more than a stopped up filter, (but I could be wrong.)

I guess the really bad thing is I haven't gotten the 1155D running yet and I am already looking at another track loader I found last week! I guess the Crazy part in Bobcat Crazy is ringing true! o_O Hey don't seem so surprised, I told you all up front that I was not very smart and just can't seem to stop jumping in over my head when it comes to turning bolts and bringing machines back to life. :):):);)

The other machine is a 1997 Fiat Allis FL-145C.
The engine runs good but it will not move. They say they think a filter may be stopped up. Yeah right!!! :D:D:D I was born at night but not last night! :p:p:p

I certainly want to ask you Guys some questions before I get serious about buying this one. Hopefully that means I am not totally crazy, just mostly. :confused::confused: :D See pic below.

Thanks for the advice!
B-Crazy

Loader project 2 maybe..PNG

sawmilleng

Hi, B-C,
It seems to me there's a gentleman on this site who has been keeping an older A-C running since Noah needed a groove cut on the ground to set the keel of the ark he was building... I'm sure he will have some words of wisdom...

I have seen an ad in the British Columbia Kijiji for another Fat-Allis crawler loader, same model. Supposedly good running and "rebuilt". Its been up for months. Take a trailer (or lowbed) behind your pickup and go for a road trip...:D Look it up!

Personally, without a manufacturer supporting parts I'd be pretty close to running away screaming, especially if it had to run most of the time. Otherwise, plan on grabbing a scrap machine or two for backup parts, which adds to your overall cost for the machine. And most of the worn out parts on your runner will be worn out on the scrappers, too...

The only way to partially get around this kind of issue is to have a buddy who is a machinist and has access to a machine shop that can cut splines and gears... That doesn't address things like moulded hoses, specialized hydraulic valves, engine pistons, cranks, and other exotic crap that the F-A engineers might have put into the machine.

So I would suggest you keep your money in your jeans and wait for the next good deal to come along. I'd give my eyeteeth to have your 1155D!! Older, small enough to work on without too many lifting aids, parts both new and used are around, and with a wild steering system where you get to put your hands between your legs and play with levers!!! :p

Jon.

dirthog

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
Hi Guys,

I am looking at and thinking about a new project. I wanted to ask you Guys if parts can still be found for the Fiat Allis, and if there is a particular issue that is the weak link when this make/model stops moving? The people selling it have 3 or 4 pieces of equipment for sale (all listed as needing work). So that tells me they should know enough about this loader to know that it is more than a stopped up filter, (but I could be wrong.)

I guess the really bad thing is I haven't gotten the 1155D running yet and I am already looking at another track loader I found last week! I guess the Crazy part in Bobcat Crazy is ringing true! o_O Hey don't seem so surprised, I told you all up front that I was not very smart and just can't seem to stop jumping in over my head when it comes to turning bolts and bringing machines back to life. :):):);)

The other machine is a 1997 Fiat Allis FL-145C.
The engine runs good but it will not move. They say they think a filter may be stopped up. Yeah right!!! :D:D:D I was born at night but not last night! :p:p:p

I certainly want to ask you Guys some questions before I get serious about buying this one. Hopefully that means I am not totally crazy, just mostly. :confused::confused: :D See pic below.

Thanks for the advice!
B-Crazy

View attachment 249345
Parts will be a problem for that machine when CNH took over the Fiat end they more or less just dumped everything.

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
Environmental Services Director
Sawmilleng, Dirthog & Dave,
I would like to give you each a personal Thank You! This is exactly what I needed, I didn't know anything about the history of these machines but I knew that some of you Guys would.

It looks to be unanimous from you 3 and that settles it for me.

Again, thanks for replying with your knowledgeable advice! This has kept me out of trouble on this one! :)

B-C :)

dirthog

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
Sawmilleng, Dirthog & Dave,
I would like to give you each a personal Thank You! This is exactly what I needed, I didn't know anything about the history of these machines but I knew that some of you Guys would.

It looks to be unanimous from you 3 and that settles it for me.

Again, thanks for replying with your knowledgeable advice! This has kept me out of trouble on this one! :)

B-C :)
Well I have spent the last 49 years working for a dealer start as a mechanic for 33 when it was still Allis Chalmers then Fiat-Allis who screwed thing up then the last 16 as a parts manager and now it's CNH who is worse yet than either of them.