• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2.4 L John Deere industrial engine

DB2

Have one of these that won't fire after sitting all winter. Does anyone know the procedure for bleeding? Cranking over but not smoking. Injectors seem to be under rocker cover. Fuel solenoid seems to be activating.

Thanks in advance

AndrewC

That limits it down pretty good. There is an electronic version of this but this is the mechanical version. To bleed it all there is is to do is pump the hand primer with the bleed screw on the filter base open. Have you checked for a positive air shut off? Check fuel pressure at the final fuel filter.
If you have good fuel pressure to the engine then it could be something inside the linkage in the front cover. I have seen the pin fall out of the linkage causing the rack to stay at no fuel. Could be a spring broken on the individual injection pump- seen that too.
If you dont have good fuel pressure then it could be the fuel transfer pump on the side of the engine or the check valve on the back of the head.
It shouldnt be too cold for it to start by now I think you guys are out of the -40s you had earlier this winter.

DB2

That limits it down pretty good. There is an electronic version of this but this is the mechanical version. To bleed it all there is is to do is pump the hand primer with the bleed screw on the filter base open. Have you checked for a positive air shut off? Check fuel pressure at the final fuel filter.
If you have good fuel pressure to the engine then it could be something inside the linkage in the front cover. I have seen the pin fall out of the linkage causing the rack to stay at no fuel. Could be a spring broken on the individual injection pump- seen that too.
If you dont have good fuel pressure then it could be the fuel transfer pump on the side of the engine or the check valve on the back of the head.
It shouldnt be too cold for it to start by now I think you guys are out of the -40s you had earlier this winter.

Haha No its a little warmer now. Will check your suggestions.

Thanks for taking the time to reply