• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

200 ton excavators

newjcb123uk

pc2000 15.5 c/yd
cat 5130 14 c/yd
ex1800 14 c/yd

thats an 8t in the pit

Because its big does that mean its slow - What I mean is surely every function must be slower than a 20 tonner otherwise you could do some serious damage?? Also does it ever get a bit boring using such a huge machine as I imagine the work would be more repetitive than say using a 20 tonner on a building site. Or is that bull and its just the best job in the world??

Tn Bulldog

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator/ Truck driver
A PC 2000 Komatsu @ 15 to 15.5 yrd bucket i could load my trucks real fast in our pit in 1 to 1&1/4 buckets considering my 16' Ox beds hold 18 to 21 yrds ;) make the 225 Cat look like a baby :eek:

later yall

bulldog

digger132

pc2000 will load a truck in 90 seconds, the fill and length of haul has had a
big affect on production, it's always something starting out the fill was only
4 trucks wide, so sometimes the trucks were waiting to dump, or we were filling in bottle necks, or a utility crew had things messed up. now the fill is opened up and the cut has come down so the trucks aren't crawling up it to the pit. I'm not waiting, there's a truck waiting to be loaded all the time, which is why I've had the increase last week, will probably see more nights of 300.

Material had alot of effect on load times for the FS, in gravy it loaded in 90 seconds but I couldn't keep that pace because I'd have to work the floor to keep it level. We loaded SE 6'- it would take 3-4 minutes to load, but the material was just fractured to maintain the large size, this is were the FS showed its strength breaking out. We dug a 20' face I could dig in at 10' and
break out to the top, which would lossen material for 3 or 4 more cycles.
The ME's would load most any material in 2 minutes, no difference in the long or short dipper, just more aggrevating keeping level on the bench with the long stick.

5seriescat

Occupation
Excavator Operator_Mining
:usa I am a little bias to the 5130. I've spent about 600 hrs on it while only about 20 on ex1800. I agree with an earlier post about the 5130 having more visability but the 1800 hydraulics react alot faster, maybe more so because due to weight to power ratio. But i think down the stretch a cat is better in the U.S. due to the parts availabilty and service programs. But for my age and expirence im am just lucky to have run eithe of them. Also has anyone had a problem with hydraulic pumps failing due to cylinder packing in the pump on a 5130. :usa

Eric

I run a 5230 here and there, even though it is worn out it is still a decent mucker. We load 789's in 5 1/2 passes I would like to try one out like your running.
101_1390.jpg

digger132

5seriescat
we had 4 5130's (3ME'S, 1FS) replaced 1 swing bearing, 3 oil coolers(1 failed
cat had a new design so they replaced other 2)
This happened when they spread the shot pattern(tryin' to save a $).

Attachments

• 12 (Small).jpg
    12 (Small).jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 2,391
  • 11 (Small).jpg
    11 (Small).jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 2,334

Deas Plant

Drives to rear.

Hi, MassX.
You might like to have another look at that photo of the PC2000. I think it is parked turned away from the digging face, which appears to me to be in fron of where the idlers are positioned.

Just my 0.02.

pushkid84

kamatsu

I havnt run any thin remaotly close to the size of the excavators you are running:notworthy but i have run deer up to 992 cat from 315 up to 330 and kamatsu 200s and i think that the kamatsu out digs tham all. i hate to say it but i think kamatsu has the corner on the excavator market like i say havnt run any thing that big but in the smaller ones anyway:beatsme :beatsme

biggixxerjim

I havnt run any thin remaotly close to the size of the excavators you are running:notworthy but i have run deer up to 992 cat from 315 up to 330 and kamatsu 200s and i think that the kamatsu out digs tham all. i hate to say it but i think kamatsu has the corner on the excavator market like i say havnt run any thing that big but in the smaller ones anyway:beatsme :beatsme

I have to disagree with you here, I have operated several Komatsus (pc200-220) and cats (320-322-325-330) and I think that equally configured, the cat just slices right through the ground. I think the drive motors are more powerful, also.

PSDF350

All I know is in construction equipment this month that pc2000 goes for 2.1 million:eek: and wieghs 443,000#. That is one big ass excavator especially for road work. Must be one hell of a road project. Transporting that thing to each project must be a hell of a job in of it self. Heck moving it probably cost a small fortune.

MMSOCAL

Occupation
Excavator Operator 375b,ex1100me, 5130

I had the pleasure of running a 5130 while our lead was out on vacation, while i have run a larger hitatchi's 1100. While i ran the 1100 day in day out for almost 2 years with not much more than a couple altenator problems and some leaky hydraullic pumps it was very dependable, while the 5130 never ran for more than 2 to 3 weeks with out atleast 1 or 2 days of down time:beatsme . It only went 2 to 3 months between semi-major breakdown:Banghead . While i am a CAT man to the bone i would stray away from the 5 series cats.:usa

Kenny R

That's one heck of a road project you got going on there digger132! Crazy break on that 5130

I had the pleasure of running a 5130 while our lead was out on vacation, while i have run a larger hitatchi's 1100. While i ran the 1100 day in day out for almost 2 years with not much more than a couple altenator problems and some leaky hydraulic pumps it was very dependable, while the 5130 never ran for more than 2 to 3 weeks with out at least 1 or 2 days of down time:beats me . It only went 2 to 3 months between semi-major breakdown:Banghead . While i am a CAT man to the bone i would stray away from the 5 series cats.:usa

Hi MMSOCAL its great to have another So. Cal. member on board!:usa where abouts are you located?? I'm down in the orange county area... not to many ex1100 or 5130's come down here often but here's a few I caught maybe one of them is you:cool:

Attachments

• Picture 1308.jpg
    Picture 1308.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,935
  • Picture 10749.jpg
    Picture 10749.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,970

digger132

Smalltime,

Yea I'm working on 35, got about 2 months(weather permitting) left on mass
excavation. I'll probably be done with the big dog.

newjcb123uk asked if it got boring running these big hoes, in the mines, yes, on this road job its not bad, the cuts are small 200-800 thousand c/yds so I"m bringing down the pre-split, or pluggin' out, or pullin' finish grade 1 of the 3, 2or 3 times a week.
The last big road job had 3 cuts 2-4 million c/yds each, it was just bailin' dirt
"boring". I took this machine because it was brand new, and I wanted to see
if there was a big difference from the older machines, there wasn't much.

As for the speed set a 20 ton machine at 3/4 throttle and that's about it.
One thing the big hoes will teach you is effeciancy, I often test some of these techniques on smaller hoes, and get some odd looks for the work I put
out at 2/3rds throttle. LIVE and LEARN.

and no offence to the miners out there, I've always worked construction
and like to finish a job and move on, can't see myself digging the same hole
year after year. To each his own.

Thanks for all the comments
Gregg

MMSOCAL

Occupation
Excavator Operator 375b,ex1100me, 5130
That's one heck of a road project you got going on there digger132! Crazy break on that 5130

Hi MMSOCAL its great to have another So. Cal. member on board!:usa where abouts are you located?? I'm down in the orange county area... not to many ex1100 or 5130's come down here often but here's a few I caught maybe one of them is you:cool:

I am up in L.A. county where the 605 meets the 210 near the irwindale speedway. I am no longer on the job where i run either, im running a 375 for better wages and better hours working for another contractor in the area. :usa

Last edited:

928G Boy

Wow, a 200 tonner on a roadjob? I was on a kiewit road-job where they had a Komatsu 1250 loading 769Ds and I thought that was insane... Apparently they sent that PC1250 to another job and brought in a 385C to replace it. I guess it was a bit overkill or something. :beatsme

This thread makes me want to hand in my resume to Kiewit again, they're starting on the Wuskwatim dam not too far from my neck of the woods and I know they're bringing in 773 trucks, some big hoes are probably on their way... Fun fun fun.

digger132

In my area 150 ton+ is the norm on roadwork, I've been in cuts from 150' to
500' deep side cuts on mountains, up to 4 million c/yds in a single cut, 7-12
million c/yds on the job, and move it in a year and a half or less, the job I'm
on now is looking like 7 million in 6-7 months. These guys don't mess around.
The contractor was considering a pc 3000, but the cost of mobilization was to much, the pc 2000's are 11 truck loads "cha-ching".

928G Boy

In my area 150 ton+ is the norm on roadwork, I've been in cuts from 150' to
500' deep side cuts on mountains, up to 4 million c/yds in a single cut, 7-12
million c/yds on the job, and move it in a year and a half or less, the job I'm
on now is looking like 7 million in 6-7 months. These guys don't mess around.
The contractor was considering a pc 3000, but the cost of mobilization was to much, the pc 2000's are 11 truck loads "cha-ching".

Now that's the way to do it. :thumbsup