• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2001 case 580 s m. Series 1

dirtmonkey

Occupation
dozer monkey , self employed
Hey guys , sorry if I'm asking some thing that's already been covered but here it goes. I'm looking at a 2001 580 super M series 1 3400 hours on it. Not really looking for opinions of the machine just some input on typical maint issues on this hoe. Yes I realize the age etc etc , but don't want to buy new right now. I've operated this machine for only an hour but it seems to be in working order. Just small cosmetic issues like buttons. Is there anything I need to look at or be ready for in this hour range.
Thanks for your time ! :)

Dirtmonkey.

case 580sm

Occupation
full time backhoe operator
You should consider looking at the front axle - lift the machine up with the front loader, so that both wheels come off the ground, and see if there is any play in the u joints, or the axle itself. I wouldnt worry about looking at the pins in the rear, I wouldnt think, because it has lower hours- which is good. But if you want to know, if your operating the boom, and you stop when your going side to side, or up or down with the boom ,and the booms shakes then you might have to replace the pins, or just tighten them. I have an 06 series 2 580 super, best machine my dad ever bought. Has only 5000hrs on it. The only thing we have to do to it is replace the left u jount, replace the pilot control switch, and tighten the pins on the rear. I'd also get oil samples taken for the machine to be safe. You shouldnt have any problems with this machine, because case makes the best backhoe on the market! Try and post pics on here, I'd like to see it.

cheers,

case 580sm

dirtmonkey

Occupation
Thanks for the input! Swing seemed fine along with most pins but I did not check the front. Will take your suggestion. Only thing that bothers me a little is that the main hole for the bucket pin has already been bored or bushing replaced. No evidence of hammer use because there is no aux . couplers. :beatsme
Over all condition , normal to slightly better than average for its age / hours IMO.
Wish I had pilots , will settle for wobble sticks but they are willing to swap to excavator pattern for me. I'll get pics later but I'm slow on posting :bash.
Again ,thank you for your input ! :notworthy

Dirtmonkey

case 580sm

Occupation
full time backhoe operator
Thats good to hear about your backhoe. You might like wobble sticks, they are ok, although i first learned on 4 stick, then pilot, then 2 stick. I like pilots the best, because of the room, and the quickness of the controls. I like 4 stick too, but at the end of a long day in the machine your pams hurt, and so do your fingers, its a bit of pain, thats why I switched too pilots, best decision I ever made. Worth the money. I find though with 2 stick whenever you want to move the machine with the boom to pick itself up to the left, or right, or up and down, or foward, or backward, the machine ''hesistates'' because of the 2 stick control, and the way it functions. I also find too that 2 stick is not as strong as pilot, or 4 stick, and guys that have operated 2 stick say the same thing too, because thats what they find too. And they agree that 2 stick is not the way to go pilot is. Case around where I live are trying to get rid of them because knowone likes them anymore, and they don't sell at all. Guys these days go pilot, first choice, or second 4 stick.

Take care

case 580sm

dirtmonkey

Occupation
I hear ya on the pilots! I prefer the pilot/excavator controls and even the 4 stick ( still have one ) but this was in my budget for now and not sure if im gonna bite just yet. This hoe will be used for general purpose things. Not a lot of trenching or footing work. Mostly ditch cleaning , storm cellar ex, tree clearing with the dozer and steep slope /bank grading. I may buy another excavator but having the ability to road the hoe is appealing right now. I've been real busy this year but I'm not sure what's gonna happen after the first of the year, especially with the govt and economy. Ill keep you updated :)

dirtmonkey

Occupation
Well an up date. We're not buying the case. Can't get the price where I want or feel good about.
Looks like ill end up with a Komatsu 140. Thanks for your input case580sm !