• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2002 CAT 304CR Shutting OFF random

xr_guys

Hello,

Needing help to locate problem.

2002 CAT 304CR, Japanese version. Lately the machine is intermittently shutting OFF. Check fuel filter, new pump and flow all good. Notice the fuel solenoid will activate shutting the fuel during this event. Machine will be idling and no load and the valve will get energize.

Looking for wiring diagram every Corner of internet, no luck.

What tell the fuel solenoid to shut, I know about the ignition when your turn the machine OFF the solenoid get energize. Looks like the machine has timer shut OFF. Where can locate the relay or computer box that control this?

Thanks,
XR

excavator

I have a customer whose 304CR was doing the same thing and it was the wire harness terminal on the shut down solenoid. It's not real fun to work on but you open the tool box under the seat and take off a cover I the back which allows you to see the solenoid. If you reach in and litely tug on the wire and it comes of it likely needs to be replaced since there is a clip in the end that holds it on. I believe CAT sells the harness end so you can replace it.

xr_guys

Nigel,

I found the timer module and proceed to disconnect and reconnect the connector just to reset the pins.

I notice the timer reset faster compared before and the problem seems to have disappeared. I’m crossing fingers that resolve the issue, if not the other temporary solution is to disconnect the solenoid connections and for turning the engine OFF, I have to manually push the fuel solenoid to cut the fuel flow.

Thanks,
XR

xr_guys

I just want to follow-up, I ran the machine for 30 minutes and NO more intermittent issue. Reconnecting the Timer Module connection seem to have fix the.
problem.

Thanks to Nigel & Excavator for the help.

CAT 304CR