• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2015 Deere 310 L backhoe. Start it every day, or let it sit?

emmett518

I have a 2015 Deere 310 L loader / backhoe. I use it around my farm.

Back when I was stupid enough to own a boat, I was taught that diesel engines hated to be run for short periods. Boat diesels that were used to power out of the harbor, and then back in, died in very short time periods. The ones that were run long and with load, while being maintained, lasted forever.

Am I better to start my 310 every couple of days, run it for 5 minutes, exercise all of the valves and hydraulics, and then shut it off, or let it sit until I can run it for a long period of time?

I have treated the diesel with anti-gel and biocide, and change the oil, filter, and fuel filters yearly. Grease fittings every 4 hours of use or every week it sits.

Thanks

ahart

I’m no expert on John Deere backhoes but in my opinion, if that machine has any type of regen system on it, starting it and running for short periods isn’t going to do that system any good at all. I would just keep a battery maintainer on it and only run it when you can get all systems up to operating temperature, the longer the better. Even if it doesn’t have regen, I still wouldn’t run it for a short time if it wasn’t necessary. From what I’ve seen, your boat engine theory proves fairly consistent across many product lines.

Zewnten

Starting your machine for a few minutes and turning it off will almost garunteed lead to a faster demise for it. Battery; dead, hydraulic oil; water through out rather than just the tank having some condinsation, same with engine oil.

Disconnect the battery on the negative side completly, not just disconnect. Put fuel treatment in it and only use the machine when you're planning on using it for a couple hours, probably last forever.

emmett518

I figured the engine would be harder to start, valves would start sticking and seals would leak.
At least with cars, they don’t like to sit unused.

Zewnten

Equipment sits for months at time straight from the factory between waiting for delivery to the dealer, sitting on the dealers lot, then whoever you bought it from probably had it sitting until it sold.