• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2015 Deere 310L won't start after fuel filter service.

emmett518

I did my annual maintenance service on my 2015 Deere 310L backhoe.

Wiped down the area, and got rid of residual dirt and debris.

Drained oil, changed oil filter, and refilled crank. Removed both fuel filters, took off the water bowl from the first, removed the sensor, replaced gaskets, and reinstalled.

To bleed the system, Deere says to turn ignition on, and let sit for 60 seconds. Then run at low speed for 5 minutes.
I did as instructed, and started the engine. Engine started immediately, ran for about 15 seconds, then stopped. Now it will not catch or run.

Deere gave me the right fuel filters, and I did not crank them down too tight (maybe a quarter of a turn beyond hand tight stop).

What am i missing? Where did I mess up?

Fuel was fresh, and I always add biocide and antigel when I fill up. The fuel in the old filter looked sparklingly clean. No crud in the water bowl.

emmett518

Figured it out.

Turned on the ignition, and the fuel pump started doing its thing, but listening carefully, I heard a slight hissing sound.

Come to find out, hand tightening the non-bowl fuel filter is insufficient, so mine was leaking air into the suction line of the fuel pump. Tightened the filter 1/8 of a turn until snug, and the hissing stopped. The sound of the fuel pump also changed, and I could hear bubbles being blown into the fuel tank. I'm guessing the fuel pump not only sends fuel to the engine, but has some sort of a recirculating system for sending fuel back into the tank.

Waited until bubble blowing sounds stopped, and cranked.

Presto. Engine started right up.

Apparently, these are not like auto filters, where you put them on hand tight. You need to carefully crank them down to seal them.

Since I only do maintenance yearly, I'm going to write up notes so I remember next time.