• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2016 Volvo L70H P228f00 and P016f00

MikeSand47

Hi let me preface by saying im not a trained diesel mechanic, just being forced to try and fix my machine since i cant find a mechanic who'll touch it. I have a Volvo L70H that has been having fuel system issues due to water contamination. It started making a chuffing noise along with alot of black smoke, which then developed into a knock. I drained the tank and flushed out everything i could, replaced the fuel filters etc. Volvo wouldn't touch it because I had previously deleted it for emissions issues, so I went and pulled the injectors to have them tested as a start. They told me one of the injectors was no good but the rest tested within parameters so I replaced that injector and threw the rest back in. I ran it for maybe 25 minutes before the noise started back and smoke started appearing, but no knock yet. This time I got a code p228f00 so I called Volvo and they told me to replace the fuel control valve or possibly one of the high pressure pumps. I replaced part of the fuel control valve I'm assuming it was the sensor, but not the entire assembly. I was able to run the loader for about 3 hrs doing some work with no issues, but I decided to put it under a load by driving it up a hill and it started blowing smoke and knocking really bad same as before. Shut it down again and ended up replacing the high pressure pumps since I had already ordered them and was hoping it might help. I also replaced the fuel pressure sensor. Now the machine is running "better" its still making that chuffing noise but is no longer audibly knocking or smoking other than a little gray smoke upon acceleration of the motor. However, I'm now getting code p016f00 after replacing the high pressure pumps. So I fear I may have made my issue worse. That's as far as I've gotten so far. Volvo said maybe try replacing the common rail or the feed pump, but other than that they can't help, and I'm hard pressed to find a mechanic who will give me the time of day. If anyone here has any information on what could possibly be the issue I'd greatly appreciate the help. Thanks.

volvocemaster

I might be able to help you some. I spent about 15 years as a Volvo CE field tech, diagnosed many of those fuel systems. It sounds to me like you might still have an injector problem. Those injectors do not like any contamination. I know you had them tested, but I wouldn't rely on that too much. Also, when you put the other 5 back in did you replace the seals? Those common rail injectors are under constant pressure, and can leak off rail pressure when the engine is warm and under heavy load. There are leakage tests you can do to isolate each one, but requires many special fittings and tools. Basically you block one off at a time, measure the return flow from the cylinder head. Do this six times and you can find which one is leaking. Also had one leak compression past the injector seal in the head, which would aerate the return fuel and cause low rail pressure code.

MikeSand47

Thank you for the reply, yes sir, when I replaced the injectors, I did replace the seals for everything that I had to remove, that included all seals and o-rings for the injectors, fuel feeders and everything else. The cups were not replaced. Since I made this post I've run the machine for maybe 150 hrs and have noticed a few things. I'm still getting these two codes:
P228f00: Fuel Pressure Regulator Exceeded Learning Limits -- Too High, No Sub Type Information
P016f00 Controlling the fuel pressure in a closed loop at the limit is too low a pressure.
I also get a critically low fuel pressure warning, but my buttons for the screen are no longer functioning, and I didn't save the code #. This warning is intermittent and usually occurs after a hard strain on the motor, or it can appear randomly. It only goes away if the motor stalls under load, (which has happened a few times), or during a no-start situation where I pump the hand primer to get the machine to start. Since i replaced the high pressure pumps I no longer have the smoking/knocking issues, and a good portion of the time the motor runs very smoothly, however, it will lope when the pressure drops, and I do still hear a "pop, or "chuff" on occasion from the exhaust. I check the oil often and I haven't seen any rise in level or smell of fuel, and the coolant tank is clean and not showing any floating fuel or soot. I hope this information helps, I will look into the leak test and see what I can do on that front. Thank you.

volvocemaster

Sounds like you have leakage in the high pressure side of the system, which is why it does it more under load. Higher load will need a higher rail pressure. If I was working on it first thing i would do is the check the leakage past the injectors, that will give you an idea of condition and a good starting point. You maybe have put enough hours on it to work out most of the contaminated fuel, so hopefully if you find the problem and get it fixed, it wont happen again.

Ben Witter

These codes both are related to rail pressure not meeting target. Anything and everything in the fuel system can cause this, but electrical issues can as well.

Did you remove the fuel tank and clean it out first of all? Flush the entire system? Look for contamination in the lines, connections, filter heads, fuel pump, FCV, High pressure pumps, fuel rail and lines?

If your machine is deleted I can understand why no one wants to work on it. Too much liability.

kayndirect

There may still be a clog or debris in the fuel system. As the second option, the fuel pressure is not sufficient because there is a leak in one of the injector seals. That's why it causes these error codes when the engine is at full load