• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2019 Cat 259D3 Logged Codes

Bestweld

Hello,

I just bought this skid steer a week ago and just had a chance to use it today. (about 3 hours)

Serial # CW901891

I could hear some noise like hydraulic motor loading while at idle and some noise when turning coming from left side, but not sure if this is normal as this is the first CTL I have owned. So I noticed the hydraulic oil was overfilled and drained that out to the green/middle level on the sight gauge. The noise seemed to actually be louder after this so I started to look at codes to see if I could see anything on the advanced display related to the hydraulics.

Now when I was looking at the machine before I bought it, I remembered checking the active codes and I believe I also checked the logged codes but not sure, because I was not that familiar with the advanced displayit. At that time there were no codes.

How long do the logged codes stay on there? Do they have to be cleared by the dealer or will they reset after a certain period with no events? I am trying to determine if they happened today or could have been there and I did not see them when I bought it or possibly the dealer had reset the codes just before I came to look at it.

They Independent dealer I bought it from said that they had just replaced the harness that ran from the front QA to the back of the machine, the "harness for implement connection" . The service record said it was cut and causing an intermittent short. They also replaced the "on-demand fan solenoid"

There were no 'active' codes, all the codes were under 'logged':
E875-1 Low System Voltage Check Battery and Alternator
E875-2 " " " " " "
E569-2 Unexpected Left Motor Reverse Speed
E570-2 Unexpected Right Motor Forward Speed

168-3 Battery Potential Power Input #1 Voltage Above Normal
41-4 8 Volt DC Supply Voltage Below Normal
144-5 Back Up Alarm Relay Current Below Normal
144-6 " " " " " Above "
350-3 Lift Linkage Position Sensor Voltage Above Normal
458-3 Tilt Cylinder Rod End Pressure Sensor Above Normal
1076-5 Engine Coolant Fan Bypass Solenoid Current Below Normal
1076-6 " " " " " " Above "
1627-5 Fuel Pump Relay Current Below Normal
2474-3 Left Joystick Forward/Reverse Position Sensor Voltage Above Normal
2475-3 Right " " " " " " " "
2476-3 Left " Left/Right Position Sensor Voltage Above Normal
2477-3 Right " " " " " " " "
3700-3 Loader Bucket Inclinometer Sensor Voltage Above Normal
3700-4 " " " " " Below "

I have checked the voltage at the battery with a multimeter in 4 states:
Key Off: 13.1 Volts
Key ON: 12.7 Volts
Running low idle: Immediately after starting it drops to 12.2 Volts and slowly climbs to 14.9 Volts
Running high idle: 14.9 Volts

I apologize for the novel, but just trying to figure out if I got taken, should take it to the dealer (not something I want to do) or if there is a set of troubleshooting steps I could go through.

I will eventually get a service manual, but after just buying this was trying to not have to drop ~$1200.00 right now.

Thank you for reading and any help would be appreciated.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
How long do the logged codes stay on there? Do they have to be cleared by the dealer
They stay there until someone clears them. It is not automatic.

IMO you should ask the selling dealer to do two things. I am assuming that they have access to Cat ET diagnostic software, it's not limited to just Cat dealers.

1. Download what's known as the Product Status Report (PSR). This is an Adobe pdf file that contains all the Code/Event you listed above and a whole lot more besides. Especially so because all the Logged Codes would have a time stamp (hourmeter reading) when each one happened. A very useful piece of info to have for future reference.
2. After creating the PSR, erase all the Logged Codes from memory so that anything occuring in the future (even if you don't spot it at the time) it will be obvious to you that the Code/Event occured during your ownership period.

You could even go as far as having those same two steps done every year when you do annual maintenance.

I can't see anything in your list above that is worrying. Examples - the fan solenoid Codes the seller already replaced it, lift/tilt sensors would be down to the harness issue (again replaced), the 3700-3 & -4 are common, etc, etc.

The system voltages you measured in various states are nothing out of the ordinary.

Bestweld

Nige, Thanks for taking the time to read all of that and reply.

I wasn't aware of what was available, but that is exactly what I was looking for so that I could determine when the code was set. I will call them tomorrow and see if they will pull the PSR for me and reset the codes.

The repairs were done within 2 hours on the meter of when I bought it and I am 99% sure those codes were not there when I looked before purchasing, but I could be wrong.

If indeed all of those codes were set after the aforementioned parts were changed and in the 3 hours I used it, what could I be looking at?

Last edited:

Nige

If indeed all of those codes were set after the aforementioned parts were changed and in the 3 hours I used it, what could I be looking at?
I would suggest to cross that bridge when you come to it. Get the memory cleared first and then see how it goes from there. Fingers crossed nothing comes back, but even if something does it’s not likely to be a list a mile long like you posted above.

Bestweld

I hear you, I was just trying to get as much insight as I could for when I am standing in front of the dealer who sold me the unit when I get the report in hand.

I really don't think he was trying to hide something, but had I seen the codes when I looked, I would not have bought it.

Time will tell.

Thanks for all the knowledge and time you give folks, including myself, on this forum.

Nige

I really don't think he was trying to hide something, but had I seen the codes when I looked, I would not have bought it.
TBH even that long list of codes/Events should not have precluded you from buying it, they should simply have been cleared by the seller before you took delivery, especially if they did repair work on it prior to the sale. For all we know a lot of the Codes could have been created during the repair process and it is custom & practice to clear everything once the machine has been reassembled. With the level of electronic sophistication on these machines, despite their small size, Codes are a fact of life and do not necessarily indicate that anything is radically wrong with the machine.

Get the PSR in pdf format (the standard is a CSV file and they are a pain to interpret) and post it up here. All will become much clearer once you do that.