• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

277b only moves forward and reverse will not go left or right

brabe

My 2004 277b will only go straight back or straight forward. I can't go right or left. I would think it would something in the joystick but this has never happened before. Anyone have any ideas on the fix?

brabe

Ok, the left side appears to be working ok, its the left side that will not . I can drive it but its the left side doing all the work. One time the right side worked just enough to spin the machine otherwise it just basically goes just forward and back kinda veering to the right because the right side isn't working.many I'deas.

kbeen

it is also possible that your right hand travel motor is the problem. you might want to take off the hydraulic filter and cut it open to see if it has any metal or brass in it which could be from a failing motor.

brabe

i took the filter off and cut the top off and pulled the filter out. I did not see any kind of metal on the outside. do i need to cut a piece of the filter medium out?

kbeen

Yes you can cut out a piece with several layers of the filter and put it in a vise and squeeze out all the oil and then open the filter like a accordian and see what is in it.

Gorman

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wont you get metal shavings in the filter from cutting the metal housing? What do you use without contaminating the results?

kbeen

if you use a filter cutter tool you will not. if you use a hacksaw you will get some only at the top of the filter where you cut it. then you would want to look at the other end of the filter pleats for any excessive metal or brass.

brabe

if you use a filter cutter tool you will not. if you use a hacksaw you will get some only at the top of the filter where you cut it. then you would want to look at the other end of the filter pleats for any excessive metal or brass.

How do you tell if the problem is in the joystick vs the right an left hydraulic motors vs the drive motors on the outside next to the squire cage.

kbeen

well thats when it gets more complicated. sometimes you can swap the hoses from left side to right side at the joystick and possible then at the drive pumps under the seat. there are 2 pumps running off the rear of the engine. one is for the left track and one is for the right track. if possible swap the hoses at the joystick from left to right too see if you can tell anything. but before you swap any hoses you need to mark where they go first to be able to put them back where they were.

brabe

well thats when it gets more complicated. sometimes you can swap the hoses from left side to right side at the joystick and possible then at the drive pumps under the seat. there are 2 pumps running off the rear of the engine. one is for the left track and one is for the right track. if possible swap the hoses at the joystick from left to right too see if you can tell anything. but before you swap any hoses you need to mark where they go first to be able to put them back where they were.

There are like 5 or six hydraulic lines and some electrical connections. How do I decide which ones to switch. I don't know which lines do whar coming from the joystick. I guess I could try to follow the lines to the pumps . Cani just swap like 2 of them or do I have to do all of them

Last edited:

kbeen

yes i think you could follow them back to the pumps and see which ones go to left travel pump and which to right travel pump. should be 2 to each pump, those would be the 2 you would want to swap with the other 2.

brabe

I took the filter off and cut the top off, then cut the bottom third of the filter and peeled it back. I did not see any type of metal or brass at all. I thought I read somewhere you can also test the pressure at the pumps to see if they are working correctly. I guess I will try to switch the hoses on the joystick first and see where it leads.then maybe look into testing the pumps.

brabe

Ok here is the update. I got cat service guy to come out just to diagnose the problem, apparently he says it is the drive motor on the right side by the squire cage. He diagnosed it by checking the pressure at the pump by capping the hoses under the cab and hooking up a pressure gauge, he said he got around 4 or 5 thousand by moving the machine joystick in all directions. Ok so it has to be the drive motor. My question is why it will not turn to the right if the right side drive motor is bad. I would think the left side would still turn when moving the joystick to the right. Any thoughts before I have to spend 2300 on a drive motor. I just want to make sure that is the problem.

kbeen

brabe i see what you are saying. did the cat man happen to block the machine up in the air and see what the tracks do. does the right hand track not pull at all ? also what did the pump pressure do when he hooked the lines back up. did he then loose pressure on the right drive ?

brabe

He did not block the machine up when he did it. I am going to do that in the next few days. Where would I get the hydraulic gauges to check it myself because I would like to. Also I think I want to get a service manual. Any ideas the most economical way to get one.

kbeen

brabe you can buy the gauges and hose from your caterpillar dealer. that is where we got ours. they are not cheap but are great quality. if you want the part #'s to the gauge and hose plus a couple of fittings you would need reply back and i can get you the part #'s. there are a couple of service manual on ebay i noticed. i will keep a watch for a cheaper one though and let you know if i see one.

kbeen

barbe it doesnt seem like the site is up-dating the threads or something. i know i replied with a couple of threads that are not showing up here now. i do not know what it is doing. i get a email reply where you replied to the thread but when i go to the heavy equipment forum website it is not showing up there. anyway here is my last reply concerning test gauges. brabe you can buy the gauges and hose from your caterpillar dealer. that is where we got ours. they are not cheap but are great quality. if you want the part #'s to the gauge and hose plus a couple of fittings you would need reply back and i can get you the part #'s. there are a couple of service manual on ebay i noticed. i will keep a watch for a cheaper one though and let you know if i see one.

brabe

i did block the machine up and the one track will move correctly when moving the joystick. I guess i am going to replace the drive motor on the right side. Just cant believe its bad with only 1200 hrs. Do you know if you can take it off with out removing the whole track completely. i was going to suck the track in, take off the idler and squire cage hoping i have enough room to take it out. I have replaced the tracks before but never any of the drive motors. It looks like after i take the squire cage off, undo the lines and take all the bolts behind the squire cage and hopefully that is it.

kbeen

I think you can if you get enough slack in the track and can hold it up out of the way to remove everthing. good luck