• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

3 pumps in a row

revbill

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic for a medium size rental
I am working on a JD 120c. this unit has a Hitachi pump system.
This piece of equipment has been working just fine until the other day when it quit any and all hydraulic functions. I found that the piggyback or charge pump had sheared the pump input shaft. I replaced the pilot filter housing, that seems to have a sort of relief valve in it? I replaced all the hydraulic filters and checked the return to tank line from this pilot filter housing, it was clear. I replaced the pump, purged it ,fired the unit up and snap goes the small, charge pump shaft. The local JD dealer doesn't have a clue, they came out, checked it, put a pump in it, and the same results, broken shaft. Does that pilot filter housing really have a relief in it or should I be looking further up the system? Any ideas? or does anyone know how this system works? Getting expensive. Thanks for any help. Bill

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I'm not a Deere tech, but I'd wager that valve in the pilot system filter isn't actually a relief valve as much as it is a by-pass valve for when filter gets clogged. When your first pilot system pump went down, did you check the filter for metal fragments? If it had a lot of metal in it, chances are it popped open the by-pass valve and sent junk into the pilot system control manifold.

The pilot system on most excavators is a pressure regulated system, the pressure on the pilot controls is only a few hundred pounds, and that gear pump is capable of putting out thousands of pounds of pressure. The pilot system manifold has various components to regulate the pressure and flow of oil from the pilot pump. It's a good possibility the manifold components and spools are fragged with debris from failed pump.

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
Willy that is what Deere is call it in their manual.But would thing it is more of bypass also.I have workshop and tech manuals will have to look at them closer.They show adjusting the pressure on the top of filter head with shims.Then checking the relief pressure.Her are the proformace test tech manuals for JD120 that I have.
http://www.4shared.com/document/uwKRRnNq/PROFORMANCE_TEST_CONTENTS_155T.html
http://www.4shared.com/document/0tX71qld/PROFORMANCE_TEST_CONTENTS_155T.html

These are two different books.Check them out.Hopefully they help.

Last edited:

rgl726

After installing new pilot pump did you measure the pilot pump pressure? Can you post pictures of the broken pump shaft?

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Willy that is what Deere is call it in their manual.But would thing it is more of bypass also.I have workshop and tech manuals will have to look at them closer.

Yep, that's what they call it TK, seems the guys who write and produce parts books/pages forget that words mean things. LoL

revbill

Occupation
Thanks Tool King. That link to the service manual is a life saver. Come Monday morning I'll get back to the job site, out in the woods where it chose to break down, (could have been in a worst place though) I'am going to check that new filter housing and see just how many shims they put in the relief valve, the old one had only one. Thanks again, I'll keep you posted, revbill.

"I don't care that others charge less for their work, they know what their work is worth"

revbill

Occupation
willie thanks for the help, I'll be inspecting all items up line to be sure that there is no junk in them. I'll keep you posted, revbill

"I don't care that others charge less for their work, they know what their work is worth."

revbill

Occupation
Thanks again Tool King for the new links I'll keep you posted. revbill

revbill

Occupation
rgl726 Thanks for your post, yes tried to check the pressure but pump only lasted 5 to 10 seconds, I didn't get a good read. I don't know if JD tech tried to check pressure or not, I was not invited to that party. I'll keep you posted. revbill

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
revbill let me know if you need the any other part of the workshop or tech manuals for this machine.I have it for general ,engine,undercarriage,front attachement ,toubleshooting and wiring diagrams .Let me know.

revbill

Occupation
Tool King I'll let you know about the other manuals, thanks. Looking at what I've already down loaded from you, it sure looks like the relief valve on the pilot filter housing is not opening, or like you said the pressure is too high. Well, I'll find out in the next couple of days. Thanks again revbill.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Looking at what I've already down loaded from you, it sure looks like the relief valve on the pilot filter housing is not opening, or like you said the pressure is too high.

revbill, I wish I knew more about your machines system than I do, but I really think you're looking at this completely wrong and are therefore unable to see you're problem. You have to keep from thinking of that valve as a relief, which is an acceptable generic term, but most filters incorporate a by-pass valve, which more properly describes its function.

All that means is if/when the filter gets clogged and restrictive, the by-pass valve opens and allows the flow of oil to carry on by "going around the filter", effectively sending unfiltered oil to system components, which I have a suspicion is the case with your machine. Hence the reason I asked previously if you checked the filter element for debris when the first charge pump went down.

If I'm right, when that pump grenaded inside and sent fragments to the filter, the filter clogged, by-pass valve opened, fragments went to pilot manifold valve body, and now the valve body has all these fragments messing up the operation of the internal pressure regulating spool. If that's the case, you'll have to completely disassemble the pilot manifold valve and get the junk out of it.

BillG

One way that I use to check for any problems downstream before installing a new pump.
1. If you don't have one, purchase a hand pump like an Enerpack. A cheap HF one will work but make sure to flush out whichever you have.
2. Check with the dealer for the normal pressure in the system that you are checking.
3. Install a good known pressure gauge in the line and connect your hand pump, bleed the line of air.
4. Pump up the pressure and see if the pressure is controlled within specs, watch your pump reservoir level.

Obviously this will only work with a system that is closed center or a pilot pressure regulating system. Or suspected of being blocked ahead of any reliefs.
I use a small variable displacement motor driven pump with a variable pressure control, it saves some expense and time.

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
Willie59 feel free to download them yourself .
http://www.4shared.com/document/uwKRRnNq/PROFORMANCE_TEST_CONTENTS_155T.html
Check out page 27 and after it shows how to adjust pump. Not saying this the told fix but at lease lining up his ducks in a row. I am interested in see what he finds with machine.I figured I woud give the manual to have at leased something to work with .

Last edited:

revbill

Occupation
willie59 sorry I didn't mention about the pilot filter. There was a small amount of aluminium in the filter. Here is what I believe happened to the first 2 pumps, after tear down of the pumps I found that pressure had built to a point that the rotors were forced apart slightly, causing them to dig into the outer wall and lock the pump, snapping the shaft. The debris is aluminium, and a very small amount. You are right, the pilot filter housing contains a by-pass valve, as well as a relief valve in another location in the housing, taking no,so I thought ,chances of a malfunction within the pilot filter housing, I replaced the housing with a new one. Also the manual on this machine from tool king, shows this filter housing as having the only adjustable relief valve in the pilot system. Like I said in a previous post, I'am taking your well taken advice and I'll be checking everything up stream. Again thank you for your help, sometimes I need all I can get. I'll keep you posted. revbill

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
Make sure everything is clear up stream in the system.Glad to heard yu are making positive headway with machine.Hope the manual were help with this machine.

Last edited:

revbill

Occupation
BillG Thanks for the tip, I believe I still have a Enerpack back at the shop, haven't used it for awhile. Thanks again. revbill

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
the pilot filter housing contains a by-pass valve, as well as a relief valve in another location in the housing,

Ok, that's interesting. But keep in mind, in typical hydraulic circuits, relief valves are for just that, to relieve excessive pressure. But it's typically not desirable for a relief to be popped open, especially under continuous circumstances, because relief valves are restrictive in a circuit and will heat the oil excessively.

The fact that the pump has wear against one side indicates it was working under excessive load. In that pilot circuit, this would be less the fault of the pressure relief valve and more likely the circuit pressure regulator not working properly. :)

revbill

Occupation
willie59 Boy that's a point well taken. I went back out to my service truck and looked at the old filter housing and the (relief valve?) It's not like a standard relief valve, its in the shape of a small spool valve, It is spring loaded and adjustable by shims of various thickness. Perhaps this really is a pressure regulator and not a relief valve as you suggested. I'am not really this hardheaded. Just the forest for the trees kinda thing Thanks again I'am out for the nite revbill