• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

308E2 swing bearing bolt Torque

Wayne Hittle

Occupation
Retired
Well I got my machine split today now onto replacing the broke bolts a big thanks out to heymccall, james sorochan and Nige. Followed your advice and set my tracks on boards and just drug the carbody out without having to remove the sun gear from the final drives. Used Mahindra 4530 tractor. One thing that seems odd to me is the Torq specs on these bolts is 177 +- 30 lbs. I would think the Torq spec would be much more specific especially since this machine had an update on the bolts getting loose. As I mentioned in a previous post that update expired in 2020, just my luck.

Attachments

• IMG_0378.JPG
    IMG_0378.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 25

Tags

Nice job. I would think the use of some sort of Loctite product on the bolt might be a good idea. Hopefully someone like Nige chimes in and maybe can give you a procedure on torquing and using a Loctite product on the bolts

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Couple of interesting things.
1. The bolt issue was allegedly confined to machines up to FJX02223. Machines FJX02224-Up were modified at factory.
2. The specification calls for copper anti-seize on the bolt threads then torque to 177+/-30. The anti-seize means that the bolt will be tighter when torqued to specification than without it.

You comment that the spec covers a wide range but how close is your torque wrench to being correctly calibrated.? When was it last checked..? If you're comfortable with your torque wrench being good I'd apply the anit-seize, install the bolts, set it to 180 and heave away. If not, maybe it's time you had it checked.

Attachments

• Swing Bearing.pdf
    781.1 KB · Views: 7

sinijkot

Well I got my machine split today now onto replacing the broke bolts a big thanks out to heymccall, james sorochan and Nige. Followed your advice and set my tracks on boards and just drug the carbody out without having to remove the sun gear from the final drives. Used Mahindra 4530 tractor. One thing that seems odd to me is the Torq specs on these bolts is 177 +- 30 lbs. I would think the Torq spec would be much more specific especially since this machine had an update on the bolts getting loose. As I mentioned in a previous post that update expired in 2020, just my luck.
Hello Wayne, my first post here.
I just bought a 2016 308e2GR machine at an auction and the inner swing bearing bolts are loose, the cab is rocking by about 1/4".
I'm not sure if the bolts are broken or just backed out.
Is it possible to get at the bolts without splitting the machine? I removed a small inspectiontion cover to see if the bolts are accessible but they are just under the main plate. I can probably get a box wrench on them but that's not going to allow me to tighten them to 177lb. Does the swing motor need to come out?
I'm hopping it's just the backed out bolts; the bearing visually looks good from outside. Let me know whatever tips you have for addressing this issue.
Thank you very much.