• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

314ELCR random shutdown

heymccall

314ELCR ZJT00416
7k hours

Intermittent machine shutdown.
Sometimes restarts.
Sometimes has to sit a short period.
Sometimes no start in morning.
Always cranks over.

Initially, only code was 590-9 (Ecm update rate abnormal)

Now, also 247-9 and 247-19 (data link update rate abnormal & data link data error).

Has latest software updates, done in 2021.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Initially, only code was 590-9 (Ecm update rate abnormal)
Now, also 247-9 and 247-19 (data link update rate abnormal & data link data error).
Have you got the troubleshooting procedures for all those Codes.?

Harness connector or wiring problem somewhere.?

Weirdly the 247 refers to the J1939 Datalink, not the CDL which would be 246. Do any of the ECMs on the machine communicate via the J1939.?

heymccall

I suspect harness issue, but could really use troubleshooting tree. Already have full schematic.

This same machine had similar issue @3k hours, random shutoff, sometimes no start until short resting period, BUT no fault codes. Replaced crank sensor on rear of engine block.

@170/hr and $4.80/mile, the Cat dealer is $1100 away, and unavailable for a week.

Someday, I'll have to inquire about non-dealer Cat ET.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Someday, I'll have to inquire about non-dealer Cat ET.
It won't do any better for diagnostics than a Customer ET in my experience. The only thing different between the two versions AFAIK is the dealer version's capability to flash software files into ECMs - if you can get hold of the flash files that is.

Here's the CAN Datalink troubleshooting. It covers all three Codes.

Attachments

• Troubleshooting.pdf
    690.3 KB · Views: 2

Cmark

Quick tip. When it's running, lean over the engine and tap the ECM a few times with a screwdriver or something. If it stops, new ECM required. I've only had one but a friend who works for the dealer has also had a couple.