• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

318 g john deere skid wont lift bucket fast

Anthony93

hey guys im back again. Ive been working on a skidsteer. when it first came in it would raise and lower the bucket just fine but you could not turn in it. So we decided to replace both drive motors and the hydraulic pump. now we can turn and move just fine but when you go to raise the bucket itll stay in the same place or barely move unless you rev it up. im wondering if theres another valve that might of been damaged when the crew blew a line and ran the machine dry of hydrau. is there a seperate valve for the arms to raise and lower? the only thing we didnt replace was the small hydraulic pump on the very front. is that something i should look into changing or should i try replacing valves? thanks in advance

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
What actually failed to cause you to replace those parts? Were the pumps and motors disassembled and inspected? Did something fail? Was the filter cut open and inspected? Return manifold inspected for debris?

So we decided to replace both drive motors and the hydraulic pump
Hydraulic pump, or the hydrostatic pumps?

Anthony93

The guys were working and didnt notice the leak under the machine in time and completely ran it out of hydraulic but kept running it. the machine quit moving all together. so we took the tires off and the covers and jacked it up to watch the sprocket while moving. it wasnt moving hardly at all so my boss said he wanted to change those. we changed the hydraulic pump that mounts to the engine, i guess the smaller pump on the end, the drive motors and the hydraulic filter. once replaced everything started working as it should except for the raising of the arm. nothing was taken apart as i wouldnt know much about what im looking for. as for the oil itself it didnt seem to me like there was a lot of metal in it. if you shined your flashlight you could see little particals that looked like metal but im not sure. when i dumped the filter it was clean as well. we did not check the return manifold. to be honest i dont know where or what that would look like. ive only been doing this for a little over a year. so what should i do next? were having the hydraulic control valve built so we can replace it next. when i took all the hoses off all i seen was clean hydraulic oil.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
so what should i do next?
Back up 10 and punt! I don't have a good answer for you.

That is a lot of cash to dole out in parts without testing the systems or checking for contamination. You might as well replace the other two pumps on the front of the hydrostats at this point. Put a relief valve in it while you are at it. Then, if the system is full of contamination from the failure, do it all again later.

To answer the question, if the machine drives fine, but the hydraulics are slow, then a hydraulic pump flow and pressure test would be next.

Anthony93

Ok when they put me on that project again I’ll try that. It’s never try again it’s if it doesn’t work the first time you put it aside and work on something else