• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

320d quick tatch not working

Steel Horse

Quick tatch works when power is supplied by a 12 v battery directly to actuator motor. I have replaced both relays and checked all fues in panel below relays, all good. I have continuity at wires that connect to actuator. I'm getting 12.8 volt when switch is toggled in both directions, but when I connect wires back to actuator, nothing??
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

ahart

If you lose voltage when the load is connected to the circuit but have it when disconnected, typically means there is a nearly broken wire or weak connection. Pivot points on harness routing are a good place to start, otherwise you’ll have to follow the harness back to the source. Remember, a DMM set on ohms only needs 1 strand of wire to show continuity, same when set on volts, only one strand required to show 12 volts.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I have continuity at wires that connect to actuator.
What @ahart said above. If you checked continuity with a DMM then it may pay you to repeat the test using a 5A test light connected to Batt+ at one end and with the other end connected to frame ground. If a wire will pass that sort of current it should work under load.

Steel Horse

If you lose voltage when the load is connected to the circuit but have it when disconnected, typically means there is a nearly broken wire or weak connection. Pivot points on harness routing are a good place to start, otherwise you’ll have to follow the harness back to the source. Remember, a DMM set on ohms only needs 1 strand of wire to show continuity, same when set on volts, only one strand required to show 12 volts.
Thanks ahart, kind of what I figured. Just trying to rule everything out before I start pulling wire out to expose it. Outside of the 2 relays, is there any inline fuse that may have blown. And is it possible that the toggle switch may be bad?

Steel Horse

Just want to thank both of you for sharing your wisdom concerning this matter. Great education
I did find the problem. There is an inline 20 amp metal fuse relay down by the starter. I pulled it out to check resistance and it was showing good, but went up to NAPA and got another Just to be sure.
Thankfully that resolved my issue. Everything is working properly.
Thanks again for your help!