• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

321CLCR injection pump issue

heymccall

So, they dragged me out on our no start 312CLCR.
MCF01146
MAE15350
3066 w/12,500 hours
Holding the throttle lever forward allowed the engine to start.
Disconnected both governor cables and still a no start. Both ways, the throttle lever fights me in rhythm with RPM swings.
The issue at hand is that when the engine is made to run, the throttle lever continues to oscillate, in conjunction with the RPMs, regardless of whether the cables are connected or not.
Tied a bungee to the, now cable free, throttle lever, and the same result. But, left running, it would occasionally just level out at part throttle.
I'm figuring on something broken in the IP governor, but I thought I would inquire here first.
If the electric governor is push/ pull cables, I would assume that the lever on the pump only moves in response to cables, not from the internals of the IP? This one fights me when holding the throttle lever on.
No abnormal noises or smoke when running, just the oscillating up/ does RPM swings.

While I can pull the IP in machine, I plan on pulling the engine due to leaking oul pan that is unserviceable in the chassis. I can't even access half the bolts, let alone drop the pan, since the frame rails are in the way.

Does anyone have the counterweights and engine removal instructions that they can share?
Can I leave the pump and radiator behind?

Cat dealer wants $4k labor for IP replacement, plus the $2900 for the 10R IP. But, they insist that the counterweight needs removed for IP replacement, which is definitely not true.

Last edited:

ahart

Hope this helps

Attachments

• SIS 2.0 CW 312C.pdf
    201.8 KB · Views: 5
  • SIS 2.0 engine 312C .pdf
    335.6 KB · Views: 5