• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

3406c information

Nimitz4300

Occupation
truck driver
hey guys! ok so I picked up a 3406c and im gonna use the engine for another truck. its bone stock with 398,000 miles. the wiring harness is crap and i found a harness from Cat for $488 but i also have the option to convert it to mechanical. my father in law has a B model pump i can use. now my question is if i convert it i want to match it as best i can i do not plan on turning the engine up much. i have the 4ck15380 engine the tag does not have the AR number. all i no is its 350hp at 1800 with 10 timing. i have a set of 0r-8289 injector nozzle's but no one seems to no what injector numbers are for what arrangement. Cat website serial number break down says i have the pistons(7e-0292) that match to the 15.6.1 compression. if i could get 435hp id be happy but it does not have to be that much for what im doing with the truck. any help would greatly appreciated im looking for injector numbers for a 435 or 400 hp motor and turbo combos i could try. everything else i got a pretty good idea. Thanks!

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Nimitz,

Yeah, you don’t want a PEEC. Nightmare to get parts for and they suck. Seriously, the best way to research that custom 3406B tuning mix & match is to study the CAT TMI database and look at parts books. Nothin’ pulls like a Caterpillar. Knowwhatimsayin?

Truck Shop

If you have a little time--a friend of mine a Cat 3406 veteran---has a matrix for all the possibilities
by AR and Ser#s. More than likely what you will end up with is a B with a 3ZJ prefix. The 3ZJ had
the best specs of the B models, 4MG second. But you will want the advance unit that matches those
prefixes. There are slight differences. Some time this weekend.

Tyler d4c

3zj I ran in a ltl was a factory mechanical when I got it still had the safety tie on the pump. Had the fuel screws out about 4 turns and fiddled with the afr control. Averaged near 7 that's only loaded half the time and fairly light. Up near 80000 could keep up with most of them. Wasn't too smokey and the pie gauge never saw over 950 or so. It probably should have had the advance rebuilt but I never got there till the boss bought a new 13 letter.

mitch504

Interesting what you say about the 3zj. The only 3406 I have ever owned is the one I have now, a 3zj. It will pull hell off the hinges, and isn't bad on the highway. I always thought it was mostly down to the 4.30 rears and the lowhole 9-speed. POS WhiteGMC truck, great powertrain and suspension.

Just curiosity, Nige, could you give those specs on 03zj31779g, thanks in advance.

Tyler d4c

BTW I second the comments regarding the PEEC system installed on the OP's engine. F'kin horrible system, I still have nightmares about gensets we had configured that way.
In a truck they where bad but in a genny how could it be trusted at all. What all was that system ever on?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
You'd think in a genset running at constant speed without all the imposed impact loads of a truck engine bouncing down the highway they might perform better. The issues we had were often related to altitude compensation. The map of atmospheric pressure vs fuel timing vs injection in the PEEC system were crude to say the least. The ADEMI/II 3500 engines of the day were light years ahead of the PEECs.

Coaldust

Occupation
I didn’t realize PEEC was used on anything but truck engines. Wow. What a nightmare.

Truck Shop

The Peec was known to break the timing sensor arm on the advance unit,
A bulletin by cat said aerated oil caused the arm to break.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I remember seeing a box labled "PEEC Tools" in the toolcrib and then thanking the Lord that we did not touch on road engines and that 99% of what we worked on was newer than 2005.

Coaldust

Occupation
On road engines are a special kind of hell.

If it’s my pile of crap fleet rig, fine. Three Million Mile Bubba’s pride & joy, fresh off the interstate, cab full of **** jugs, bad decisions and broken dreams, just shoot me.