• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

345. Log road pipe install

LogDog

ok
here a few photos of what we call a "fish pipe" install
scenario is, older road probably biult in the 60s, inside corner,has an existing 24"pipe. due to modern fish management rules we will be installing a 108"or 9ftx90ft long pipe in three sections.
usually the bottom is 36" below bottom grade and whe pipe is in, we fill bottom of pipe up with rock the entire length, this is done with a tracked skidsteer unit starting at the far end of the pipe and working out.
trucks dump rock on grade and I spoon it down to the bobcat.
hope you enjoy Roger

Attachments

• pipe install 7.jpg
    pipe install 7.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,560
  • pipe install 4.jpg
    pipe install 4.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,549
  • pipe install 5.jpg
    pipe install 5.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,548
  • pipe install 3.jpg
    pipe install 3.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,560

CAT345D L

COPPA
Occupation
Work on my GF's farm want to be an equipment opera
Nice looking pics you got there, what model cat is in the last pic a 330?

Nuggethunting

Hey LongDog and Other,

A partner of mine just purchased a 2001 CAT 345BL. We will be using it on a mining operation here in Arizona. This is our first go around with a Trackhoe. I've had a lot of experience running forklifts of various sizes and some small backhoes over the years.

Any suggestions on getting started, what to watch for and maint. issues?

We are having the CAT delivered this coming weekend and I will have to drive the unit into the area where we are mining (fairly flat ground). Any suggestions on driving safety, warnings, alarms and such ...?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Rob in Arizona

Nuggethunting

Hello All,

Forgot to mention I visited the CAT website and downloaded three of the PDF files that were a lot of help also.

Thanks,

Rob in Arizona

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
Nice pics, thanks for sharing. Looks like you got some serious guarding on that 345c. Keep'em coming:drinkup

look at me go LOL. which one do you like better I know a few guys that would rather a 330 or the 345 and vice versa.

Yeah, I'll take a 345 personally. I think they are weight a little better, feel more stable in my opinion.:cool2

busdrivernine

with the 7. inches of rain that we got in my area the county had 4 colverts was out this week end and we got contracted to help haul the fill dirt the culverts are 8 ft insided dia and about 50 ' long . will post pictures of job tomorrow if I have time to stop and take pictures track hoe was eating up our stock pile faster than we could haul it. Was going to do another one Weds but we got another rain storm another 1.5 inches in about 3 hrs but the sun came outh this evening and good weaher fo a couple of days .

Grouser

Hey LongDog and Other,

A partner of mine just purchased a 2001 CAT 345BL. We will be using it on a mining operation here in Arizona. This is our first go around with a Trackhoe. I've had a lot of experience running forklifts of various sizes and some small backhoes over the years.

Any suggestions on getting started, what to watch for and maint. issues?

We are having the CAT delivered this coming weekend and I will have to drive the unit into the area where we are mining (fairly flat ground). Any suggestions on driving safety, warnings, alarms and such ...?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Rob in Arizona

Hey Rob, try posting a thread on this, should be somebody near you that could come out and get you up to speed.

Good luck!

Nuggethunting

Hey Grouser,

Yep, Im here in Arizona and would like any suggestions or tips on operation and maint. of this unit. We pretty much work the Trackhoe on the weekends and grease the entire unit every 10 hours or so. We also do a daily walk-around and check all the fluid levels and check for any type of leaks or anything that look abnormal.

P.S. Someone mentioned you should never dig from the rear, always dig off the front so you don't put wear and tear on the pins ...? I also heard from another person this is not true. Any suggestions?

Talk with you later,

Rob

JonesBros

Occupation
Operator/Mechanic/Truck Driver/Fabricator
P.S. Someone mentioned you should never dig from the rear, always dig off the front so you don't put wear and tear on the pins ...? I also heard from another person this is not true. Any suggestions?

That is exactly what I have been taught, and what I teach. Always dig over the idler, not the sprocket.

Nuggethunting

Hey JonesBros,

Thanks for the information. A trackhoe operator told me this, but then again another person told me something else. It makes sense to dig over the idler and not the sprocket, but was curious if you can tell me why is this? Does it have to do with wearing the sprocket with the weight and stress over it?

I'm pretty Green when it comes to Trackhoe operating, even though I've picked up on it quickly. Any advice would be appreciated or reference to where I can find out more information about the CAT 345BL.

P.S. I'm also looking to replace the bucket teeth, but having trouble locating a serial number on the bucket.

Rob in Arizona

JonesBros

Occupation
Operator/Mechanic/Truck Driver/Fabricator
Hey JonesBros,

Thanks for the information. A trackhoe operator told me this, but then again another person told me something else. It makes sense to dig over the idler and not the sprocket, but was curious if you can tell me why is this? Does it have to do with wearing the sprocket with the weight and stress over it?

I'm pretty Green when it comes to Trackhoe operating, even though I've picked up on it quickly. Any advice would be appreciated or reference to where I can find out more information about the CAT 345BL.

P.S. I'm also looking to replace the bucket teeth, but having trouble locating a serial number on the bucket.

Rob in Arizona

Rob,

It seems you've got the idea of it. Operating over the sprocket just wears them out quicker. A worn sprocket will be pointed at the tip rather than a blunt tip. From the pins rubbing and putting pressure on the teeth from the machine being pulled in that direction it just puts more stress on the sprocket causing them to wear faster as if you dug over the idler the whole time. Best of luck!