• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

385C's

jazak

You know what; screw the 305 & 252B, I'm getting that!! LOL :bouncegri The payments on that must really big $$$$$ :crying :crying

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
You know what; screw the 305 & 252B, I'm getting that!! LOL :bouncegri The payments on that must really big $$$$$ :crying :crying

you might have to sell 4 or 5 of them just to afford the permits, etc to move one of those:rolleyes: That being said, in a 10 hour shift I really think that in similar conditions a 385 ME can move more dirt than 2 345 ME, if you make as many of the variables (outside of the machine and the trucks it's loading) the same. Just my 2 cents... :thumbsup

9420pullpan

I'll take the Cat, too...

tho pullpan -- I'm a member at the French forum where some of those images (orange 385C with double stick cylinders) were posted.

Fun place!

yes that is one of the site i go seaching for pics at.... i love the foreign sites bc they have different equipment

9420pullpan

when i was working for American Infrastructure in PA they had (2) 345's loading truck and then they got there 385 which they have gotten rid of.

i think that there are so many things to consider when purchasing a big machine like that. first you must have the work and the machines to support it at both ends cut and fill. AI was justing a D6 or D8 to support an 815 on some jobs but sometimes it was just the 815. and with 40 tonners coming non stop all day you have your hands full.
also running 2 hoes is sorta more organized ya know with one its just get in line when you have 2 it is hit or miss

they got rid of it bc of the lack of work for it and i heard that it cost @ 20k to move the whole package.
here are some pics of the (2) 345's loading and some of the 385 loading....

345 pipe hoes loadin 40 Tons.jpg

385-14.jpg

385 4.jpg

385-9.jpg

385 7.jpg

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
AI was justing a D6 or D8 to support an 815 on some jobs but sometimes it was just the 815. and with 40 tonners coming non stop all day you have your hands full.

they got rid of it bc of the lack of work for it and i heard that it cost @ 20k to move the whole package.

If an 815 was going solo I hope the soil was really sandy, I know those machines tend to struggle in rocky/heavy material with the 30-tonners, I can't imagine what it's like with 40-ton trucks.

I've heard that from just about everyone here, that between it's cost to move the whole package and job sizes, it wasn't justified to have a 385... they said that in order to keep it they would have to have jobs with nearly 1 million cubic yards of cut/fill to really keep it busy.

Pullpan do you have a larger version of that fourth pic?

Last edited by a moderator:

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
A large contractor out here was working on a three phase project, I think the total amount of material moved was over 2 million cubic yards for all three phases. They were loading 40 ton artics with a Zaxis 600, spreading and compacting with a 2 D8's. Took them a long time, but they got in done. 5 artics, 1 excavator, and a D8's.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
Goodfellow knows how to move dirt.

Indeed they do. I'd love to get on with them, except for they're union.

Pipkin would have been a good route for me to take, went to an interview, but told me I didn't have enough experience for a seasonal operation job. I imagine if I'd sign on full time they would have taken me, but not for a 3 month summer season. Pipkin is getting huge anymore, but they're nothing compared to Goodfellow's Hawaii operation.

Last edited:

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I wonder why that 385 is swinging over the cab to load like that?That can slow you down big time.Maybe they were posing for pictures????Ron G

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I bet that is just some stupid truck driver going the wrong way.:yup

580bruce

How much time have you spent in a truck?The view out one window,is much different than the other.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
How much time have you spent in a truck?The view out one window,is much different than the other.

Very true. I was backing an old Kenworth this summer so I could dip 5/8 out of the body with the excavator. Could have sworn I was dead on perfect. Shut the truck down, walk back to the machine and I could have gone another 6-7 feet back. Needless to say, I'm not a truck driver...yet.

Jeff D.

CascadeScaper said:
Needless to say, I'm not a truck driver...yet.
Well hurry up! You don't want to miss out on any of the enjoyment you'll get from the "truck driver" jokes.

I find they never get old!!:rolleyes::bouncegri

tylermckee

As much as i like to poke fun at truck drivers, fact is i would be sitting at home without them, they arent all that bad, just most of them :bouncegri

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I am now convinced that the "operator" might be the reason that they sold the 385 after seeing the rest of those pics.I doesn't take long to spot a new guy.The machine is not level,loading backwards and he does not seem to have a plan to take advantage of the jobsite and make it work for him.
On second thought,maybe if they put me on a new 385 with the lights on it might affect me the same way.Ron G:bouncegri

murray83

Occupation
jack of all trades....master of none
What? no grade stake or stolen lunch insults? :mad: This thread hijack hasn't reached its full potential yet :rolleyes: :yup