• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

385C's

Demoguy324

Occupation
Operating engineer, Local 701, Specializing in scr
the 385(as with most of our new Volvos) is plagued with a lot of computer and sensor issues.

the 385 in particular has a lot of issues with hydraulics, blowing up attachments, i can't say a whole lot more about it, because sitting across the site all I see is weather it's sitting, or working...need to know basis, and my job doesn't rely on the inner workings of another machine.

Eric

MonsterToys

385c

385c is a great machine, but due to the problems as mentioned above, I may lean towards the Komatsu. Anyone know how it compares technically to the Komatsu?

Demoguy324

Occupation
Operating engineer, Local 701, Specializing in scr
Repost, now that I know what I'm doing, I no longer work for MCM, but I do still like looking back at the pics from the jobs.

Eric
0703160005il5.jpg

0703170003vt9.jpg

0703170004hz5.jpg

0703170002zz4.jpg

Frazzy

Our new CAT 385C L with a 5.2 m^2 Heavy Duty Rock bucket..

Will go for 12 hours a day, loading 1x CAT 775, and 1x Komatsu HD605-7 at our quarry..

Here is a picture when Cat was mounting the Stick/Bucket ect..

They where 4-5 people going at that work, working 14 hours+ and still going some days now, to get it ready for use:)

http://www.home.no/frazzy/CAT/385.jpg

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
Our new CAT 385C L with a 5.2 m^2 Heavy Duty Rock bucket..

Will go for 12 hours a day, loading 1x CAT 775, and 1x Komatsu HD605-7 at our quarry..

Here is a picture when Cat was mounting the Stick/Bucket ect..

They where 4-5 people going at that work, working 14 hours+ and still going some days now, to get it ready for use:)

http://www.home.no/frazzy/CAT/385.jpg

Welcome aboard Frazzy!!:drinkup :drinkup

Feel free to share more photos of your new toy at work. What size boom/ stick does it have on?

Frazzy

I really don't know the exact size of the boom/stick, but it have to be the smallest yet biggest one, for the heavy work its gonna be used for:)

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
It looks like the engine nacelle has a dent in it already,right above the "CAT" decal.More pics please:))Ron G

Frazzy

It looks like the engine nacelle has a dent in it already,right above the "CAT" decal.More pics please:))Ron G

hehe, yeah!

But its not a dent, bad quality on the picture or something.. I tok it with my mobile..

I will take some quality pictures and some movies when its finished and in work!

Its gonna take over the job of our current CAT 375:)

http://www.home.no/frazzy/CAT/DSC00443.JPG

Here is a picture of it, been running for 14.000 hours++ now, and its not the machine it was when new.. hehe

Going hard everyday!

Frazzy

I can’t wait to try that machine, I’m not the regular driver of our 375 now, but have some hours on it.

I’m more the wheel loader driver at our work, we had a Caterpillar 980 and a Volvo 180E, but changed our Cat 980 into a Komatsu W-500 (due to it was going hard for 7 years, with 16.000 hours++).. I loved the 980, and the komatsu is nothing like it..

I also visit some other quarries this summer with a friend, than we saw the 988, 990, 992, 777 and some other machines. That is some nice machines to run, and so much power (992)..

The dream would be to try a Cat 994 hehe

Would be cool to try load our 775 with a 998/990 instead of the 385, but due to the hardning in our soule/need an extra machine with a hammer so the mass goes trew our crusher/ they don't do it that way, because the cost is less now.

We use a 6-8 tonn big ironball to crush the stone now, with the 375.. They drop the big stones on it, and it crushes.

Guess a 990 would manage to load a 775 with 3 passings, so it would be faster again.

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
I can’t wait to try that machine, I’m not the regular driver of our 375 now, but have some hours on it..
....Would be cool to try load our 775 with a 998/990 instead of the 385...

...Guess a 990 would manage to load a 775 with 3 passings, so it would be faster again.

Can't wait to hear what you think of it, I'd love to run a 385 some day.

At one of our quarries we have two 990's loading 773's(with side boards) and a 775... it usually takes about 4 passes to load both size trucks. The quarry is hard rock (granite) aggregate though:beatsme . Keep the photos coming:drinkup

cat 385

I honestly don't see any benefits to owning these machines, even in quarry's. You can do just at much with (2) 345's at a cheaper cost. Same thing with D11's. You can move more material with a (2) D9's at the same cost as a D11.

a 385 can dig through ground a 345 would not even touch!

Last edited:

cat 385

the 385 is a awsome machine,we were loading 777's out of a slag yard,real hard digging,it would rip right through the hard pan with a 7yrd.bucket:notworthy

Wolf

The 385 is an awesome machine indeed. It is incredible when used for demolishing old buildings. Love that power and force.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
I'm a die hard Cat guy but I hear Komatsu is eating Cat's lunch on 60 ton and larger excavators. Don't have any personal experience, but from what I've read here and talked to a couple local guys, the Komatsus are definately right up there, if not a little better.