• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

4 in 1 buckets

Ryanrb25

We have 4 in 1 buckets on all 8 of our bobcats. We even retro fit a bobcat 4 in 1 bucket to our yanmar v4 loader. Our New holland 90.B backhoe also has a 4 in 1. Very handy for Pad work, trimming and cleaning up spoil. For the backhoe it's great for breaking up hard stock piles to make it easier to pick up a bucket without slamming the machine into it. Rubbish and spoil pick up is where they excel tho. Some of our operators can clean up a site without getting out of the machine. Like some of you have mentioned...opening it up and dragging material away from a fence line is also a very handy tool.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
is a 4 in 1 bucket good for grading?

I have one on the brothers farm and it is useless has not graded a thing in the 10 years it has being sitting there , absolutely useless but I wont move it until has the job done ,I'd be stubborn that way ,sure it can't even keep the weeds down around it.....bloody useless !

Stock

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Comparing a 4in1 to a GP would be like comparing a Swiss Army Knife to a kitchen knife. It simply has many more uses. I regular do house pads to 1/4" with the 4in1 and have no problem levelling. I don't find the Cat 4in1 has any down side to levelling as against the Cat GP (the reverse really)...I have both, but the GP really only gets used as a mud bucket (concrete or mortar).

The technique to master with the 4in1 is with raising a level. Run forward with the bucket practically on the ground (say 2" off) crowded forward slightly and cracked open. This meters out the soil but the inside edge blades it off as well keeping the machine running on level ground. Then run backblade past the grade stake to see how much you have come up (if you haven't already nailed it). This method keeps the area level as you bring it up....start level, finish level.

If its a production load out of trucks you shouldn't be using a 4in1. Its an expensive piece of kit and loading all day is not its job.

I'm still finding ways to use my 4in1 and I hope I never stop.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
opinions on if these are over rated? also how effective are they? Are they relatively east to grade with?

:IMO anybody who thinks they are over rated has not used one for what it is intended.
is a 4 in 1 bucket good for grading?

4 in 1 buckets are the only thing to have, best thing since sliced bread.

They are indeed a fine grading tool!!!

I agree 100% with Johnny. This picture from my 953B thread shows exactly what he describes. Picture rolling the bucket forward or backwards and imagine what the cutting edge will do.

953B 001.jpg

I have one on the brothers farm and it is useless has not graded a thing in the 10 years it has being sitting there , absolutely useless but I wont move it until has the job done ,I'd be stubborn that way ,sure it can't even keep the weeds down around it.....bloody useless !

My dear friend you need to connect it up to something :D

Ryanrb25

I find the 4 in 1 is perfect for seperating different materials aswell. Sometimes perfectly good rubble may be up against a truck load of balast.. then you can almost get 99% of it the first go by scraping it off the other material with the 4 in 1 opened up and used as a scraper. As long as all 3 cutting edges are worn evenly (or still there) then trimming and grading should be a walk in the park with a 4 in 1.

JonesBros

Occupation
Operator/Mechanic/Truck Driver/Fabricator
After owning both backhoes w/ a MP bucket and a GP bucket, I would never tell anybody to buy a GP bucket again! We have them on of course a 963, 420D, 420E, and our little Kubota 5030. Grading...its a dream with it. In all honesty if you can't grade with a MP bucket then your just not doing it right. Its awesome for smoothing up material that have ruts in it, being that the bucket is in front of the tracks/tires it'll keep the ground your running on smooth and you won't have any dipping. It adds excellent weight to the front of a machine too. ESP if you have like a rear mounted motor like a 963, or a backhoe to keep the bucket on the ground and tires well planted.

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
I grew up with out 4n'1's but the 580 I run every day has one. Best thing since sliced bread. Makes life much easier especially on the road.

William J

I have one a CAT 416 and I love it. I wouldn't buy a backhoe without one. Excellent for picking up brush removing/picking up stumps and backblading.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Can a 4 in 1 be added to any machine?

Short answer Yes! but it will need an extra hyd service to operate it and will also be adding extra weight to the front axle if a BHL, if a trackshovel I cant imagine any major problems that a bit more weight on the ass wont cure.

If you talking, skid steer I would expect the same.

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
The 4 in 1 bucket I have for the bobcat is my favorite attachment EVER and I'm learning new and creative ways to use it every time I use it, and I use it for absolutely everything! Here's a picture for you all to enjoy, I'll take more next time I'm home!

Attachments

• IM000217.jpg
    IM000217.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 900
  • IM000216.jpg
    IM000216.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 898

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
I use it for absolutely everything! Here's a picture for you all to enjoy,

Great pics spitzair, another perfect example of one of its hundreds of uses. :notworthy

For the inexperienced just be careful not to overload one side of the bucket when grabbing like shown.

A nice equally sized log like that is perfect. :thumbsup

blawton_25

Short answer Yes! but it will need an extra hyd service to operate it and will also be adding extra weight to the front axle if a BHL, if a trackshovel I cant imagine any major problems that a bit more weight on the ass wont cure.

If you talking, skid steer I would expect the same.

How hard is it to add an extra service? Or do you have to replace the existing valve?

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
directional diversion valve

These are used on front end loaders for grapples and such like, the divert the flow from the tilt function to opening and closing the 4 in 1 by means of a push button on the lever.

Simples no.

nzpatch

i love the 4in1 on my cat 216 , can't see me ever not having one, i have two for it now . teeth and a cutting edge. i can see they wood be good on a track loader too.

tripper_174

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator Trainer
I agree with surfer-joe. If you're predominately using the loader as a loader then a standard bucket is the tool, loads better, holds more material, material rolls into the bucket better. However, for things like sewer and water, general clean up, landscaping or base and asphalt work its pretty hard to beat. Kind of like a Crescent wrench in a tool box. Handy as heck for lots of jobs.

cb1

Occupation
retired military
I like mine, pretty much self explanitory..

Attachments

• 4 in 1 bucket.jpg
    4 in 1 bucket.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 831

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
They have a lot more pros then cons if you know how to use it. I have done a lot of demo with 4n1s. And on pipe job ETC where you may have to clean up several piles of material they are priceless.

Wolf

They have a lot more pros then cons if you know how to use it. I have done a lot of demo with 4n1s. And on pipe job ETC where you may have to clean up several piles of material they are priceless.

Yeah, Dozerboy is right. The 4-in-1 just rules for demo. It's great on a wrecking machine. What kind of stuff have you demo'ed with the 4-in-1, John? You got any pictures of that?

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
How hard is it to add an extra service? Or do you have to replace the existing valve?

Sorry for the very slow reply, I think Stock has about covered it for you though.

You really need to know what services and options you have on the machine.
On one it might be a piece of cake and cost very little on the other hand if you only have a standard valve block and every service is in use then it could prove too expensive.

Normally where there is a will, there is a way ;) it will depend on how much you want to spend and how professional you want it to look and operate.