• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

400 Big Cam / N14

Truck Shop

Worked on many 531's it was a good BCIII 400. personally I would give it a tuneup and replace injectors and see how it runs. Check the push rods for oil inside
while your there. It won't stop it from smoking cold but it might clear it up some. If you have injectors puddling fuel that doesn't help.

Truck Shop

Truck Shop

MVT on the 444 was a joke, STC on the others had its issues, but did ok when it was working and did reduce idle smoke quite well, as I recall even the N-14 mechanical used STC.

Yes the N14 mechanical used STC injectors. Once you threw the original injector locking tool and manual away and torqued them to 125 inch lbs pre-load they ran great.
But the original settings only removed a slight amount of slack and caused the injector plunger to wear fairly fast. The 444 and mechanical N14 runs way smoother set
with pre-load on the injectors, plus injector life goes up drastically.

Truck Shop

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Yes the N14 mechanical used STC injectors. Once you threw the original injector locking tool and manual away and torqued them to 125 inch lbs pre-load they ran great.
But the original settings only removed a slight amount of slack and caused the injector plunger to wear fairly fast. The 444 and mechanical N14 runs way smoother set
with pre-load on the injectors, plus injector life goes up drastically.

Truck Shop
Gonna try that on the next one I see. I've always used the STC tool, but set them very FIRMLY at zero lash. that stupid 5 lb inch tee handle has no feel whatsoever. Another one of those things Carl P showed me years ago.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
4/83 build code, that was during my days and will be a old standard 855 NTC400 that will smoke a light hazy blue especially when cold.

Trying to see what that greasy line is running behind the throttle arm on the pump, it is in contact? Second if you have someone in the cab slowly step down on the throttle while watch travel is it smooth and not spot sticky? Should be Nothing in contact with the throttle rods. Then one final is the break over throttle arm loose to where it can break over early in travel and not open for throttle?

dieseldog5.9

Originally i replaced the throttle linkage, and did some checks on the break over arm. I got bit pretty hard by a big cam once years ago that had the same jerky symptoms, i changed the injection pump on, and it wasn't the problem, ended up being the throttle linkage.

I know some of the N14 parts are interchangable, however i dont know what, and if its worth the effort. If i am going to get a thousand dollars into building the pump and injectors that i have is it worth buying junk yard engine, and swapping N14 parts into either electric or mechanical.

I bought the truck because i was looking for a classic truck, that i could haul my excavator around on a tag trailer and haul some dirt. I wanted a 350 peterbilt, I Originally am from Port Angeles Wa, in the late 70's, early 80's and have a soft spot for a late 60's pete logger. On the east coast this is a rare truck, and the few that are here, they want alot of money for. So when i came across this 81 Western Star, with a galvanized cab, and a Big Cam 3 i was all in, the cab is short like an early pete, not sure when the cab got taller but a heritage cab is taller than My 4964, and a long tall hood, very similar to an Autocar AF64. It is what i would call a working hobby truck, as most of my work is mechanic work. Not making it parade ready, but reliable cool old truck, if i make a couple bucks with it great.

Truck Shop

Just stick with what you have, IMO. The BCIII is a good engine for what your doing-for years those engines have moved allot of equipment, freight, logs and dirt.
Is the block dry around the head gaskets? If it is there's probably not much to worry about at this point. Do the normal things to check it over. Check the turbo
for excessive radial play and pushing oil past the seals. Run the overheads and install some fresh injectors. Drop the pan and roll a set of rod and main bearings
in it. Run it and see how it is, if need be have the pump gone through-lord knows how many knot heads have fiddled with the button. If its stock it should have
a #27 button.

Interior parts for those Stars are hard to get by the way. Even when they were new you ordered and waited a month. Those old Stars were good looking rigs.
And the cab was built in Kelowna BC. Autocar, White and Diamond T to name a few used that cab.

Truck Shop

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Big Red has fifteen speeds and six in the hole. That old Star is ready to pull!

That Cummins Eight-five-five makes all kinds of boost. Fire it up, smoke the pigeons from their roost!

Big Red has no black box and no ECM.
Just twelve button that pump, and point her in the wind!

Coaldust

Occupation
Lol.
That 855 Big Cam marketing ploy was funny at the time. I appreciate the 855 for what it was. They kept us busy changing head gaskets and rolling bearings, but they hauled the mail and got the logs out of the woods.

I was never a Cummins Guy. Not that I didn’t like them. There was a lot of good Cummins guys. So, I tended to get the Cat and Detroit work. So, I never got into them.

I like to hear a well-tuned Big Cam III with all the updates and tweaks pulling a load of wood.

dieseldog5.9

This is a working restoration, hoping to replace the injectors this spring and get a little boost in horsepower. When I bought the truck the old owner turned a few screws on the pump and she pulled pretty hard, I sent the pump to a local pump shop and it would fall flat on its face in a hill, found an air leak in the return line to the tank and it got better, probably back to stock numbers, not the power I had when I bought it but usable. I know there is some power in there and hoping a fuel shop in maine will put together injectors and a pump that will pull.

Last edited:

Truck Shop

The change to lower oil pressure starting with BCII engines was to make the main/rod bearings last longer which it did. The problem with high rail pressure was what it does to injector lobe.
The way to achieve more fuel is use the 9 or 10 orifice injectors to relieve the rail pressure. A KT pump with a 1" gear can be used on a 855 after being calibrated {standard gear was 3/4" .
Stock rail was 165 on average for most big cams and some only 158, But I have seen where #42 buttons were stock and #5 installed. That shoots the rail over 250 easily and good by injector lobe.
My BCIII only ran 200 on rail with 10 orifice injectors and a KT pump with a HT3B turbo for a 525 N14, at 14-1 compression it ran a steady 36 lbs boost on a hard pull, but I didn't run it that way.

Coaldust

Occupation
That’s a recipe for success from the church of the Western Star! I’m taking notes.