• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

420D Startup Fuel Issue

Long0

Charter Member
Occupation
Project Manager
Evening,
Cat 420DIT / BLN05998 / 7400+/-hrs
Im assuming I have a fuel issue at startup. Cold tractor immediately fires then stops running. Takes another 2-3 20sec cycles to fire again. Machine runs great after running.

I bought the tractor 4 years ago. It had shy of 7k hrs when purchased. Its been used mainly for moving snow. Full fluid service upon my receipt. Latest record I find is oil/fuel/air change at 10/26/22 — 7243hrs.

Problem became more evident throughout this winter. Longer and more cranking times to get running. I assumed bad lift pump and replaced the pump last weekend.

After lift pump was installed ran fine. That was Sunday the 30th. went to start tonight and I still have the same issue.
Leakdown somehow?
Check valve at pump?

Any help is appreciated

Andy

Long0

Charter Member
Occupation
Project Manager
Water separator (no glass/plastic-it’s a sealed unit) as you indicate. Filter tractor north of that I believe.

Long0

Charter Member
Occupation
Project Manager
Replaced the water separator and that appears to have solved my issue. Ill report back in a couple months to verify
Much appreciated.