• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

426C 3054 fuel pump wrong

heymccall

Needed to replace the 25 year old lift pump on one of our 1YR 426Cit backhoes.
Trapped between the engine and main frame, it was a little tedious to get out, but, fortunately, it ran on ether long enough to raise and lock the boom.

Here's the problem....
Original part number 121-3220 has been replaced (updated) via service magazine and the parts ordering system to a 201-0877, BUT, Perkins boxed a bunch of them wrong. Hey I get it, it happens. The makes me angry part is that when I called the dealer, the counter guy "knew" about it AND yet they are still in inventory. So, 45 minutes times 4 just to chase wrong and right part, plus 1 hour times 4 in road call, just for a $45 pump.
Having done work on quite few Perkipillars, I knew to order the line olives (2 @ 067-6269).

The makes me frustrated part is that they were aware at my branch, but not at the DC. They are now, and so are you.IMG_1293~2.jpg20231215_133251~2.jpg

Not only does one port point at the engine block making connection impossible, the cam follow arm is too long to allow bolting up. I could've reoriented the cover and modified the fuel lines, save for the arm being too long.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Back in the past there would have been a “Parts Action” Service Letter to have all the incorrectly-packed parts removed from dealer stock work-wide. Now it seems as though it’s just too much trouble. How the mighty Cat have fallen from their pedestal.

edgephoto

@Nige I work for a major auto manufacturer. We used to send out parts notices and tell dealers to send back or scrap stuff. Now they just put a note on the page where you place orders. So if you have it in stock you will never see the note until it is too late.

One of our engines has a head gasket issue. They just revised the part and issued a new number. Dealers are using the old one because they had them in stock and now warranty claims are bouncing. What a circus.