• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

440A Skidder Problem

scotmanster

Hello new to the forums. Looking for some help. I have a 440A JD skidder and ran it the last two years pulling out logs. This year I started early and decide to enagage the differential lock because it is really muddy. The differential lock is located on the left hand side near the heal of your foot. Well I engaged it and it ran fine for 15 yards and then I heard some noises coming from it. I shutdown the motor immediately but only to find out it won't turn over now. Seems the fly wheel is locked. Any suggestions? I checked the manual thorughly and couldn't find anything about it.

Iron Horse

It would have to be a coincidence , you have engine trouble . Have you checked the oil level ? No matter what went wrong with a diff lock , it cannot lock the engine .

scotmanster

It would have to be a coincidence , you have engine trouble . Have you checked the oil level ? No matter what went wrong with a diff lock , it cannot lock the engine .

Thanks Ironhorse for the quick reply I did pull the starter today and seemed to enagage. Thanks god these engines are easy enough to pull. Im glad it wouldn't have anything to do with the transmission. The oil pressure gauage line blew out the other day and shut it off soon as I seen it blowing oil all over. I replaced that just before driving again and checked the oil level. It was a little low so I filled it up but now today I checked the oil and it seemed way over filled. I guess I will try turning the flywheel with a long screw driver and if no luck looks like I might have to pull the head then the motor. Appreciate the input. Cheers.

scotmanster

Another question Iron Horse. I am not able to turn the flywheel. Should the rear drive shaft turn when in nuetral postion or does that not effect if the flywheel shuould turn. Just trying simple things before having to pull the engine. Appreciate your feedback.

bill onthehill

Can you move it at all? as in freewheel? sounds like your drive train is locked up and not letting the engine turn. I would drop the drive shafts before I would pull the engine. Is one of the yokes in a bind?

scotmanster

Can you move it at all? as in freewheel? sounds like your drive train is locked up and not letting the engine turn. I would drop the drive shafts before I would pull the engine. Is one of the yokes in a bind?

I did end up dropping the driveshafts thanks for the input. I pulled the valve cover just a few hours ago and when I seen a bent push rod I thought this can't be good. Ended up pulling the head and number 2 cyclinder shattered. I guess I'm doing a rebuild. Thanks for the help guys. :drinkup

scotmanster

does that have a 219t in it, might be the same as my 450c. If you need parts, pm me, I'll hook you up.

Alright thanks. I will hvae to check not totally up on the specs of the machine just got it not too long ago.

But let me tell you I figured out why the piston shattered. Well a few of the ports on the head where totally blocked. Had to take a sharp pointer to dig all the crud out. I am surprised it ran for two years without any serious problems. It started great and ran like a champ till the one day it blew. Plus I have been keeping regular maintance on it. Filter,oil changes and what not. Plus the oil pressure and temp where all par.

What im worried about is there is a good size nick in the head where the piston comes up. It is about a inch away from the valves so not sure if it can be milled down or would I be better off getting a new head or running it as it is. I will take a pic and post it so I can get some feedback.

Iron Horse

Did it drop a valve ? Or did it swallow an object ? What caused the "nick" ? What shattered the piston ? If the a mark in the head was caused by a foreign object , it may not be a problem as long as it is not a crack or has caused valve seat warpage . The con rod is suspect now , it could be bent from the impact , it will need to be checked .