• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

450H construction cat to logging cat

netfun

I'm buying a 450h lt, and need to add a 4000s winch w/ fairlead, heavy belly pan, and side screens. Anyone here know of any of these used parts? Thank you, Russ

netfun

This would be a John Deere 450h. I logged with an AC HD6 for twenty plus years. I'm looking forward to the joystick instead of steering clutches and brakes. It seems like there are a lot of late model construction dozers for sale, but few set up for logging.

netfun

Thank you CM. I found a used 4000s and arch. I will have JD dealer beef up my belly pan. Then install winch/arch. I'm still looking for used for some used side screens. I'll post some pix when I gather it all up. Now to sell my 350CE (bad motor and bad left steering clutch).

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
You can make my own side screens or find a local fabricator, probably the cheapest route.

Post some pics when you get them, we'd like to see the finished product.

netfun

The belly pans have all been upgraded.

I received my used 4000s winch, hydraulic pump, and new arch.

jd 450 photos 008.jpg

We had it lined all up and realized the used linkage bracket fit a 550 dozer.:Banghead

Got the right bracket coming and hope to have it mounted next weekend.

Looking for parts to build side screens.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Good to see progress despite the frustration.:thumbsup

netfun

Made some progress this weekend. The winch is bolted on, the free spool is adjusted, and the arch is on minus the mounting brackets (coming soon). Can't wait to have this cat back home and yard some logs.

Attachments

• winch 007.jpg
    winch 007.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 648

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Nice work! I hope she serves you well. You know the rules, we'll need a few action photos.:D

netfun

Here is my cat in action. First I pull a tree up to the flat:
cat logging 005.jpg
then after limbing and bucking, I pull the drum line with slidders (skidder chokers) and hook each log:
cat logging 007.jpg
cat logging 009.jpg
I winch in the turn:
cat logging 011.jpg
and pull the turn to the landing:
cat logging 012.jpg
Pull some slack and unhook the chokers. I use 8 foot 9/16ths chokers so that when I spool in the empty chokers, the ends just clear the ground, and I won't walk over them when I back up(break them).

Here is a vender for the skidder chokers:
http://www.westechrigging.com/wire-rope-logging-chokers-choker-hooks.html

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
The 450 looks like it's earning it's keep and all your hard work has paid off.

Are you commercially logging or clearing for something else?

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Bidding a job that has several large trees slated to come down, one is a popular 4' in diameter. Wanna bring your saw and 450 to take care of it?:D

netfun

Coblentz Equipment in Holmesville Ohio had it fabbed for me. They came up with the used 4000s winch as well as the pump. I can't be more pleased with this outfit.

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
I've got a 450J with a winch and would like to have an arch. I've been looking at weldco beales but am interested in other options.