• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

4th function? Can i disable?

512high

Hi Everyone, Let me give a quick overview. I have a 2011 John Deere 244J compact wheel loader, bought used last year. It has 3rd and 4 th function. We just use during summer months then sits in our shop, we drive once a month to keep things intact etc. We will NEVER use the 4th function, the issue I am having, after we use the loader for 30 mins or 4 hours, when we park it, each hydro line from the 4th function that goes to the front bucket area to accept an attachment, "drips" 2-3 oz per side for a day or two, then basically stops, which I'm confused about...is it because the machine ran, fluid is moving thru lines, even though no attachment is hooked? Is the o-ring expanding/contracting??. I went online got a parts breakdown, seems John Deere want $75.05 per ORING!!!!, so, is there a way to "cap" off or am I asking for trouble, or some how bite the bullet for o-ring. I'm somewhat mechanically able I "think" for this task....:Banghead

Deere tech

Occupation
field mechanic
$75 seems like a lot for an oring, they had to have been quoting the wrong part. you could probably buy caps and plugs for that price.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Who knows how they come up with their pricing. I have an O-ring that I have to replace on the pump on my pool every second year that is $150. But I agree, better to keep the fourth valve in case you ever need it. We have an L45 with a 3rd valve for a broom. The 4th function is electric. Instead of a loop hose, they put a ball valve on the end of each line.

Last edited:

512high

Who knows how they come up with their pricing. I have an O-ring that I have to replace on the pump on my pool every second year that is $150. But I agree, better to keep the fourth valve in case you ever need it. We have an L45 with a 3rd valve for a broom. The 4th function is electric. Instead of a loop hose, they put a ball valve on the end of each line.
*I agree, i have a ball valve on the third function, its just weird, after using loader, she will drip few oz per side, then in a few days...zero, i'm assuming oring.....ty

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
One method I have seen to deal with oil drips on quick couplers is on NewHolland tractors. They had clear plastic containers on the bottom of the bank of hose connectors that would collect oil drips after you disconnected aux lines. It would be impractical I know, but I had a good laugh at the time. This was stock from the factory.

512high

That is funny! However, my issue is the "drip" is , from what I can see....the bottom hoses(left and right side) go from the fourth valve , down the loader arms , then the end of the hoses go into what john deere calls a union fitting, that gets attached to a block clamp, and your quick connector for aux. sit on top. appears my issue is where the "swivel"(union fitting) is there is a o ring in there, but the price ! and of course all metric I assume, anyways, lol I do have a plastic container to catch the drips after using, what boggles me is after a few days or so sitting...the drips are almost zero...just wonder is that because fluid when using machine is warm, thinner? And passes thru? anyways, I don't have a trailer to haul, and my local Nortrax is 40 miles away, god knows how much for a service call, cost of O-rings! Ty all for your input

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
After you shut the machine off can you turn the key back on and activate the 4th function valve to release the pressure in it. Will not stop the leak while the machine is running but might stop the few day leak.

512high

I will give that a shot! So after the machine engine is off, turn the key back on, but don't start..correct?[QUOTE=old

Deere tech

Occupation
field mechanic
That is an expensive price. I looked it up and in the parts book it appears that part number is for the complete swivel fitting and in the parts breakdown they are calling it an oring. Unfortunately they do not break that fitting down into the orings that seal it. You might have luck removing the swivel fitting and bringing it to the dealer or a hydraulic shop to see if they have a plug to put in the hose, and you can just keep the hose plugged.

512high

***Deere tech, ty for the reply, see thats where i get confused, i went online john deere parts, that swivel union fitting#AT262083 is $290.00.......anyways if i go with your idea, any idea how much fluid i will loose when i disconnect the lines???? ty
That is an expensive price. I looked it up and in the parts book it appears that part number is for the complete swivel fitting and in the parts breakdown they are calling it an oring. Unfortunately they do not break that fitting down into the orings that seal it. You might have luck removing the swivel fitting and bringing it to the dealer or a hydraulic shop to see if they have a plug to put in the hose, and you can just keep the hose plugged.

Deere tech

Occupation
field mechanic
Your right 512, I wasn't looking at the picture good enough, in my picture they show two items #6 and they are pointing at the swivel fitting and for one line they are calling it a union and the next line and oring, anyways sorry about the confusion. Thats alot of money either way. With the machine shut off I would be surprised if you lost more than two quarts out of those lines.

512high

Ty Deeretech for quick reply, well I took my snap ring pliers, removed the snap ring and flat washer, union slid off with easy, and very little hydro fluid ! I can see the oring , very easy if I want to spend $150.00 for two(both sides)....Nortrax near me said I maybe able to find local...however, it would be easy if I decide to do. I did NOT remove current o-ring in fear I may mess things up, but looked ok to my eyes, I cleaned gently with a little rag, reassemble. My question is this, when I run the loader, even though the 4th function is NOT being used and NOT turned on...am I losing a lot of fluid? or just the same little drops?? Ty again

Deere tech

Occupation
field mechanic
Some machines are engineered with a passageway to the port lines that supplies oil at low-pressure to the port lines when the machine is running.many your excavators are engineered this way. I am not sure if the 244 is set up that way.so my best answer to you is if you started up with that hose disconnected you may get a whole bunch of oil, or you may get just a little oil.

512high

Lol! Deere tech, if you think i'm going to start that machine without the hose connected...forget about it! I will look at my plastic containers in the am ,to see if any drips have happened, I will then start machine, and look when its running, I mean is it worth 150.00 to change the O-rings out, and not worry about it, or now that I took both sides off to inspect and cleaned them a little, maybe I solved the problem..lol, anyways I want to thank you and all the others that have tried to solve my issue with this...I will keep you posted..Philip