• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

500ton trucks...

MetalDragon_boy

Occupation
Work for the Swedish pharmacy
I have started to put away some money every month... gonna get myself the 7th RH400! There is a sandbox outside my house.. thought I was gonna use it there...

thorleif

Thanks Cat Dr. yes, it sounds like there could be something just over the horizon but maybe time will tell. The new model between the 973 and 797 sounds very interesting and I wonder if CAT will tweak/revamp the overall style of their dump trucks with these new models.

@MetalDragonboy, can I come and have a shot of your RH400 when you get it?. You may have to throw me out of your sandbox if you want to get it back though!.

Last edited:

alco

Not sure how many there are in the rest of the world guys but Caterpillar dealer Finning in Western Canada just delivered its 100th 797... at about 6M a piece thats C$600,000,000 which is around US$510,000,000.

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald...=8f470054-3d41-4786-a8f6-b11cda880827&k=72180

Most of these will be in the oilsands in Northern Alberta,I would think that their payload and productivity would be monitored and managed remotely through a wireless mine management system.

Wulf, if you look closely in the article, all of these trucks are in the Oilsands.

Where abouts in Canada are you?

Brian

mntman552

797's

The mine I work at has 4 797's and i believe 62 793's, and our sister mine has a couple 797's as well not sure if anyother mines in the PRB have any

JDOFMEMI

I got to tour the Cat plant at Decatur nearly a year ago, and they said at that time the worldwide population of 797 trucks was over 300 (I forget the exact #, I slept since then) and that they are producing an average of one truck per week. At that time, they had orders in for over 100 additional trucks, so a 2 year waiting list.
Also, they have implemented a policy of not taking orders for less than 8 trucks at a location, unless there is already 797s working onsite, due to what it takes to support them.
When they were new to the market, many places had small numbers, like 2, and that is discouraged now because they do not match well with th 240 ton trucks. I think all operations that only had a small number of trucks sold theirs, with most going to the oilsands operations. That is where 1/3 of the total population works.

Wulf

...they said at that time the worldwide population of 797 trucks was over 300

That's pretty good penetration in its relatively recent life because I recall when the 797 was introduced they had major problems with the 3524 engines where 'the two V-twelves' are connected.... must be fixed by now.

Folks were also debating the maintenance costs in comparison with the AC drive alternatives due to the huge volume of oil in the transmission and axles coupled with short service intervals.

Anyone know the refill oil volumes and PM time... Cat Dr?

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Anyone know the refill oil volumes and PM time... Cat Dr?

This was from the Cat site:

Service Refill Capacities

Fuel Tank 1800 gal 6814 L

Cooling System 315 gal 1194 L

Crankcase 110 gal 417 L

Differentials and Final Drives 185.18 gal 701 L

Steering Tank 62 gal 235 L

Steering System (Includes Tank) 114 gal 432 L

Brake/Hoist Hydraulic Tank 263 gal 996 L

Brake/Hoist System (Includes Tank) 486 gal 1842 L

Torque Converter/Transmission Sump 50 gal 190 L

Torque Converter/Transmission System (Includes Sump) 166 gal

16H

In response to Deas Dawson(moura) have about 20 up and running they hopr to all 32 up by august so far they have proved to be pretty good only minor problems so far which should be expected with a machine this size

PSDF350

This was from the Cat site:

Service Refill Capacities

Fuel Tank 1800 gal 6814 L

Cooling System 315 gal 1194 L

Crankcase 110 gal 417 L

Differentials and Final Drives 185.18 gal 701 L

Steering Tank 62 gal 235 L

Steering System (Includes Tank) 114 gal 432 L

Brake/Hoist Hydraulic Tank 263 gal 996 L

Brake/Hoist System (Includes Tank) 486 gal 1842 L

Torque Converter/Transmission Sump 50 gal 190 L

Torque Converter/Transmission System (Includes Sump) 166 gal

Thats some oil.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
1800 gallon fuel tank, anyone care to elaborate as to how they keep fuel in these things?

alco

They run them in the Kalgoorie super pit in austrailia too, and theres some in chile as well, and i think thers a few in powder river basin.

Ben46a,
I don't belive they run 797s at Kalgoorlie. If I am not mistaken, they run 793s.

Wulf,

You are right on that one, the 3524 was not one of Cat's most reliable engines to put it mildly. I know over time they did work on fixing a lot of the issues, but I still wouldn't count them in the best engine category by any means.

CascadeScaper,

I'm not sure I follow exactly what you mean by elaborating how they keep fuel in them. I'd be happy to elaborate, but there isn't much to it. When the trucks get low on fuel, they drive to the lube module where they get filled back up. The tanks at the lube module at our mine hold around 10,000 gallons and they have a tandem axle fuel truck that runs back and forth from the fuel depot to the lube module and keeps the tank full.

Brian

traxs

Occupation
Machinery Operator
CascadeScaper,

I'm not sure I follow exactly what you mean by elaborating how they keep fuel in them. I'd be happy to elaborate, but there isn't much to it. When the trucks get low on fuel, they drive to the lube module where they get filled back up. The tanks at the lube module at our mine hold around 10,000 gallons and they have a tandem axle fuel truck that runs back and forth from the fuel depot to the lube module and keeps the tank full.

Brian
Hahahahha:pointlaugh I think he means where on the truck they have room for that much fuel. If it's like on 777s, the fuel tank is on the right side under the box between the front and rear wheels. the other side is hyd. oil. check this link out.

http://cmms.cat.com/cmms/servlet/cat.dcs.cmms.servlet.DynamicImageServlet?imageid=C198751&imageType=9

Deas Plant

How Do They Keep Fuel In These Things????????

Hi, Cascadescaper.
I'm no expert but I think they have a big hollow steel tank thingy somewhere on the machine that holds fuel, at least for a little while when the engine isn't running but once you actually start the engine, it seems to suck the fuel right out of the tank thingy and then you have to fill the tank thingy again, preferably before it gets completely empty 'cos if it gets completely empty the engine sucks air and stops and the mechanics/fitters get all agro and start claiming that you are causing them extra work and that you are a mug for letting it get completely empty and the management gets all agro 'cos the machine isn't doing any work any more and the accountants start getting all itchy too 'cos the dollar flow stops and the shareholders then get p****d off 'cos their dividends drop and then the sharemarket gets all antsy and the share prices start falling and the media gets in on the act and starts claiming that there is another share market crash and before you know it we have a full-blown recession on our hands.

SO KEEP THE D**N TANK TOPPED UP.

traxs

Occupation
Machinery Operator
Hi, Cascadescaper.
I'm no expert but I think they have a big hollow steel tank thingy somewhere on the machine that holds fuel, at least for a little while when the engine isn't running but once you actually start the engine, it seems to suck the fuel right out of the tank thingy and then you have to fill the tank thingy again, preferably before it gets completely empty 'cos if it gets completely empty the engine sucks air and stops and the mechanics/fitters get all agro and start claiming that you are causing them extra work and that you are a mug for letting it get completely empty and the management gets all agro 'cos the machine isn't doing any work any more and the accountants start getting all itchy too 'cos the dollar flow stops and the shareholders then get p****d off 'cos their dividends drop and then the sharemarket gets all antsy and the share prices start falling and the media gets in on the act and starts claiming that there is another share market crash and before you know it we have a full-blown recession on our hands.

HOLY

MGT

797b

I know that everyone in the Mining industry has been hurt by the OTR Tire shortage. Here in our mine it had really put a hault on the use of our 797B's. But we found a Tire company in the States call Midwest Global Tire that has new 59/80R63 General Tires in stock. Just thought I would pass that information on if any of you are in the same situation that we are.

redline

Occupation
Plant operator and Tenkate plant hire
Hi, Cascadescaper.

go for gold deas LOL:p:p:p

GeeVee

What is the run time for fuel on those big trucks? Can you go four or five tanks before shutting down for other lube and filters?

In most powered equipment, you should use a tank of gas a day operating....

Just curious.....

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums MGT! :drinkup