• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

503 G Galion

Engineer4255

I have a 503G that has a hyd leak at the tank. Its on the bottom and difficult to see. The tank is part of the cab on this model. Any ideas on the best way to proceed?

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
Those old G's with the tank in the operators station are a pain. They needed that 20 gallon space behind you for the gas that F-226 Continental slurped up! Is the leak a crack in the tank or a loose fitting to the pump or valve body return?

Engineer4255

I think its on the bottom, but can't quite see it clearly. I was hoping not to have to remove the entire cab. And this one has the F-162 in it. BTW, who is the manufacturer of the power steering units that can be added to these graders? I have seen them on DD Allis Chalmers, and would like to add one to this one.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Well, depending on the crack, a temporary fix would be using a shop-vac put a little negative pressure on the tank, clean the area with ether, dry it off and put on either a little jbweld Marine or Seal-all leave the vac on until its set up

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
I think its on the bottom, but can't quite see it clearly. I was hoping not to have to remove the entire cab. And this one has the F-162 in it. BTW, who is the manufacturer of the power steering units that can be added to these graders? I have seen them on DD Allis Chalmers, and would like to add one to this one.
Are you talking about the inline amplifiers? If so I think Char-Lynn does still. To put a power assist on you will have to install a priority valve in the hyd line which will slow your blade functions even more. The F162 isn't the original engine, I'm pretty sure it was a F226 early on then a UG236 IH. The vac and JB weld/ Chesterton/ Belzona/ or whatever your favorite epoxy would be the quick and easy fix for the oil leak.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals

It might be a Behlin if its mounted inline on the steering shaft. They were installed on many old machines and came with their own pump and tank. They were added to everthing from graders to farm tractors.