• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

544K 3rd or auxiliary valve adjustment

Just got a new to me 544K 2012 with 4200 hours on it. Trying to run a grapple with the 3rd valve, but am having issues with it closing. It opens at the speed we want, but closes very slow, if we switch the hoses it opens slow and closes fast. have tried adjusting the spool or flow rate, but cant get that one side to function properly..
any advice would be appreciated.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF 544K;)!

Need a complete machine serial number to start with.

Did you try to swap the pilot hoses to see if that changes operation?

Yes, did swap hoses, swapped the quick couplers, it seems to be on that one side

Yes, there is a allen screw with a nut to lock it on both sides of the valve. On the side that works the way we want it, if we screwed it all the way out, we couldnt get the grapple to open, so we put it back where it was, that side opens and works properly. The other side we screwed out a long ways no difference, and the we screwed it in, no difference. I am trying to get ahold of the previous, owner to see if for some reason there might be a restrictor in there. It was used on the rail system.
I really appreciate your helping me out here. Any more ideas please get back with me. Thank You!

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
I think the pilot line fitting going into the spool cap is orificed. Make sure that is not plugged on the one side.

If they used an orifice to slow a function, it would most likely be under the fitting (on the main control valve) that supplies the side in question. Worth a look.

Maybe the load sense circuit for that direction is not sending the correct signal to the pump to put it into stroke. So it would be worth testing the load sense pressure and compare readings from a good function to the function in question.

If load sense pressure is good, and the main hoses to the attachment were switched, and the pilot lines to the spool caps were switched, with the same side of the circuit being slow, then my next thought is maybe the centering spring retaining screw on the auxiliary spool came loose not allowing the spool to make full travel in one direction.

Last edited:

I will try to look at the options mentioned tomorrow, been a busy weekend. Will post on here on how it works out.

The pilot line fitting had a very small holed orfice on both sides, yet one side worked normal. Took out the orfice or restrictor on both sides, still couldn't get the grapple to close faster. Tried again to adjust spool or stroke, nothing helped. We than switched the hoses coming from the lever in the cab, (pilot hoses) from one side of the valve to the other, now it closes the way it should but it is slow to open. Basically we are in the same boat just switched around. Please share your thoughts on what this tells us. Thank You!

Also tried to to operate grapple while raising, tilting, lowering boom, went even slower.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
I either suspect your load sense circuit has a failure or the centering spring bolt on the auxiliary spool may have come loose. I would check the centering spring retaining hardware first. Just make sure to take all the safety precautions necessary if you are going to work on the spool. Your machine is equipped with a boom safety prop, correct?

Yes I have a safety prop for the boom, can I just pull the spool? Could I get a picture of it? I want to clarify something I said yesterday. First off, there are Stucchi quick couplers for the grapple that hook up to the bucket. Bucket is a quick attach. I will try to make this as clear as I can. When sitting in the cab it is set up so that when I pull the lever of the pilot control back the grapple opens, push forward it closes. When we switched pilot hoses on the aux. valve we reversed the pilot function. Now pushing opened and pulling back closed the grapple. So it opened fast and still closed slow. We then switched the hoses at the grapple with the couplers, so the lever in the cab functions the way we want it, and now pulling it opens slow and pushing forward it closes fast. Hope this make sense to you. I really wish I could talk to you on the phone, as you know your stuff and I could explain it better. Anyway I really appreciate your help and look forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks

Steve Austin

Not sure that i understand all your comment.
Make absolutely sure those quick couplers are allowing full flow i have seen many a hydraulic flow problem created with dirty faulty quick couplers.

Will get the serial later today, loader is out right but I have the last 8 digits if that will help. 648208
Couplers are brand new, so you think they could cause issues? Stucchi couplers

Thank You!
I will let you know what I find.
Might take a couple days, we are getting a very cold spell here, so will be busy trying to keep livestock warm. High of negative 14 tomorrow