• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

55 Michigan Transmission woes

joer00

Was this issue resolved ? I had similar issues. I did put 3 gauges on the TC to check what is going on. There was enough pressure but not enough flow ! Main issue was the filter in the gearbox, I did also replace the filter which sits between the TC and the pump. Last but not least, check correct oil ! If you have oil for the summer, it wont work in cold temperatures (until you heated it up to normal temps).

Also I cant see in your post that you mention if this is the TC or the Gear. If you look at the shaft between TC and Gear, if that does not run with high RPM when revving up, you have the TC issues above.

Caseybow

Joer00- I have been unable to work on the loader since last fall. Waiting for warmer weather to start the process again. I also have to replace the brake master cylinders. After a long time looking I managed to find 2 at a very reasonable price. You said you replaced the filter in the gear box and a filter between TC and pump. Would you be able to send me a picture of these 2 locations. I am unaware that they existed and could perhaps be my issue.
Thanks

joer00

@Caseybow One filter is on the oil drain of the gearbox, this was my main issue it was severely clogged.
The filter between the charge pump and TC is and the right end of the machine. Hope attached pics help.

I also attach the Clark/spice troubleshooting manual, you also see the filter there.

Now I want to ask you a favor too :) My machine the prior owner completely removed the brake system ! I am rebuilding this now, but from the parts manual many items are unclear where they go. Can you send me as much pic as possible from the brake system ? Starting how the lines go from the brakes to where it all comes together in the middle of the machine ?

Thanks

Joe

Attachments

• Transmission & Torque Converter Troubleshooting Theory.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 2
  • FilterPosition.png
    FilterPosition.png
    140.7 KB · Views: 3
  • FilterPosition.jpg
    FilterPosition.jpg
    653.8 KB · Views: 3

Acecadet

May I make a suggestion? If you are truly starting over with the brake system, I would suggest changing over from the original air/hydraulic system to a much better, more modern and by far cheaper hydroboost system off of a modern commercial truck. I have contemplated this very idea on an old Pettibone forklift of mine. The idea would be to remove the booster and master cylinder from a truck at a pick and pull. Then plumb the pressure hydraulic line from the steering orbital to the booster then back to the orbital valve. Hook up front and rear brake lines. Little bit of fabrication for a brake pedal to get to the horizontal mounted booster/master and Bobs your uncle.

joer00

Great idea. I thought trucks are all air brakes ? I need to at least keep the braking units in the wheel and they are hydraulic.

Caseybow

Joe, Thanks for the pictures and manual. I assume that your machine is probably older than mine, as my transmission is different. With that said however, I have changed the filter close to the radiator and the sump screen in bottom of transmission was clear. Things are still a mystery to me why it doesn't move when it starts getting cold out. I have attached the brake manual for mine(air over hydralic) and another parts manual I found. Good luck and keep us updated.

Attachments

• CLARK_BRAKES_AIR_AND_AIR_OVER_HYDRAULICS_SVC_BOOK_9093.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • MICHIGAN_55A_55B_WHEEL_LOADER_1BC_2BC_50BC_BOOK_1657 (1).PDF
    4.3 MB · Views: 5