• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580 C backhoe

i need help on a question ..the other day it was 30 below cel ..my son started the backhoe left it running for 10 - 15 min .then drove it to front of shop put down stabilizers jacked up the tires stalled doing this started back up .put it in gear snuffed it. he hit the starter and the motors locked up tryed moveing on ring gear wont move ether way .we checked starter its not locked .oil good rad good every thing is up to the mark ...any ideas guys i need help .... motor was running fine when it stopped ..one guy said hydrolock but not when it was running ...if sitting for a long time and never rolled over maybe .

sheepfoot

You should crawl up under the backhoe and check the quick connects to the backhoe to see if one came loose. If the machine has a extenda hoe make sure it's lever is centered and not hyd stalling the system. Slip the main pump forward from the coupling and try to turn the crank. Check the power steering fluid in the pump and slide it back from the cam gear and try to turn the crank. Check the shuttle oil level, dipstick next two the starter. possible charge pump locked up in the shuttle. Remove the drive shaft and try to turn the yoke on the end of the shuttle, can you turn it. Remove your injectors and try to turn it, if water comes out the injector holes possible head gasket/ pin hole in a liner. These are just some of the checks you can make, but it may be a crank/ rod/ cam issue/ shuttle/converter.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Of course I can be totally wrong, but I wager -30 C (-22 F) likely has something to do with this.