• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580 K Case differential oil

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
It took my search a while, I got side-tracked reading some of gggrahm's posts. This should tell you:https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=14738

I'm not sure what series of K you have, but this is in reference to the early K's with the gearshift on the floor(small transaxle). The later K's with gearshift on the console used Hy-Trans from Case I believe. Not too knowledgeable on the newer stuff but someone will be sure to clarify this now. Phil:)

Last edited:

jlcross

Mine is a 1985 580 K. I was checking the dipstick under the seat, and its low. I just want to make sure I put the correct fluid back into it. Do I also add the fluid into the dipstick hole because its pretty tuff to get to.

Phil

Occupation
You must have an early K (pre- JJG20,000 serial), I thought the first ones were made in 1987. The Case dealer here has a reference book for lubricants, so I would call them to make sure. Yes I'm pretty sure the oil goes in the dipstick tube hole. Phil:)

Ando

Occupation
Proprietor - 5 Star Contract Services
My Case dealer acutally gave me a cross reference sheet for the oils for my 580K (early)
The only oil that didn't show a recommended alternative was the Hytrans diff oil. He mentioned that due to the wet brakes, you must use the Hytrans, as he had customers use standard diff oils and they had experienced problems with braking (lack of)
Apparently the Hytrans has an additive for the brakes.

Goose

If it is an early K the 4 speed shifter will be long and come out of the floor and that transaxle takes Transaxle fluid, which is 85/140 oil with an additive for wet brakes. If your shifter is short and comes out of the console it is a latter K and it will take the HYtrans plus/ultra.

jlcross

Yes the shifter does come out of the floor. It is a good backhoe runs good and I have dug several hole playing around. I gave $3500 for it. It was owned by the city dept and has set for a couple years. I want to make sure that all the fluids are correct. Thanks for the input. Do you think this is an oil I could pick up at TSC, because a case dealership is quite a ways away.

Goose

You can get the 85/140 oil at TSC but it wont have the brake additive. If you are just topping off the trans you should be fine adding a gallon of the regular oil, if you were going to change it I would get a bucket of the correct oil.

Phil

Occupation
Oh I can't believe the price. I'd buy 10 of them for that if they were here. Phil:)

jlcross

The price is correct. I didn't think I would get it for that, but I am sure glad I did. I need to fix the front axle because they let the king pin ware out and I don't think it can be fixed, however I found a complete front axle including the spindles, and cylinder for $2200 delivered.

bigskyelliott

differential oil

because im new to site they wont let me start a new post. this is the closest post i can find to my issue. have early 70s 580b ck. i to am looking how to add differential oil or can i even add? i changed transmission fluid and now i cant even get it to move. used napa premium transmission/hydraulic fluid. i did find in archives phil responded to similar post (nov. 09) but still having issues. now thinking differential oil??