• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580B starter filled with oil

Husker67NE

I have a 1974 Case 580B CK backhoe with a diesel engine. I’ve had issues with my starter corroding and getting filled with oil (contaminated which is another issue all together.) The oil is coming from the torque tube. Is the flywheel supposed to have oil around it? When I split the tractor I don’t remember oil there.

Thanks, all assistance is appreciated!

Tinkerer

Welcome to HEF, Husker67NE !
580B with a power shuttle ??
It has a wet bell-housing. The starting motor requires a gasket on it's mounting flange and a specific starter designed for the the 580B's.
The bell housing requires a gasket between it and the engine block.
The bell-housing drain plug requires an "O" ring on it also.

Husker67NE

Do you have a diagram of the starter and how the gasket is installed? I have the original starter housing but it has been rebuilt 3-4 times in the last 5 years. Can’t remember if I had a gasket when I put the engine back in. O ring is in place!

56wrench

if the starter has oil anywhere in the armature area, the shaft seal between the armature and the drive will be leaking