• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580b torque tube top plate removal

Roosterw9

Hey ya’ll ,
Quick question on the top
Plate removal, I’ve read threads on here from folks who have got them
Removed , im
Just wondering what tool / tools were used to accomplish this , Any concern on cracking or breaking the plates ?

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Check out GRT ranch adventures channel on youtube, he has several videos working on 580B. Just search his video playlist, should help you out.

BishopDarkk

I created an account just to answer this question. We have a 580b that we needed to remove the top plate and it was a horror. We tried using heat, air chisel, and everything else you can think of. What finally worked? After three days, X-Acto razor saw. You have to lay the saw on the parting line and saw the old gasket out by working around the plate. The blade is thin enough that it only cuts the gasket and not the plate surfaces. Remember not to saw into the alignment pins.

Attachments

• exacto.jpg
    exacto.jpg
    412.5 KB · Views: 3

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Hey ya’ll ,
Quick question on the top
Plate removal, I’ve read threads on here from folks who have got them
Removed , im
Just wondering what tool / tools were used to accomplish this , Any concern on cracking or breaking the plates ?
Were you able to get the top plate off your580B

BishopDarkk

We got the top plate off ours by using an X-acto razor saw to saw out the gasket material from between the plates, and then use wedges in the resulting gap to lift the plates straight up off the alignment pins fore and aft. After three days of fighting it with air chisels and hammers, it took about 20 minutes using the saw and wedges.
Then we had to pull the steering
wheel unit and fuel tank to get everything removed.

Roosterw9

Yes I did finally , I ended up punching up from the bottom on the steering column bolt in the plate and it broke free , about 5 wacks with a 4lb hammer and 18” 1/4 ratchet extension ,
Off course screen was plugged and a plethora of junk in the bottom of the case , on another note , I’ll be posting on this , the gasket and power shuttle rebuild kit are impossible to find I. Canada , any of my American friends know where to find these ? I’d rather stay away from gasket maker and would have to pretty excact to make one ,

Roosterw9

I created an account just to answer this question. We have a 580b that we needed to remove the top plate and it was a horror. We tried using heat, air chisel, and everything else you can think of. What finally worked? After three days, X-Acto razor saw. You have to lay the saw on the parting line and saw the old gasket out by working around the plate. The blade is thin enough that it only cuts the gasket and not the plate surfaces. Remember not to saw into the alignment pins.
Thank you very much ! That is very good information to have , for this and other projects , I appreciate you taking the time to answer my friend .

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Yes I did finally , I ended up punching up from the bottom on the steering column bolt in the plate and it broke free , about 5 wacks with a 4lb hammer and 18” 1/4 ratchet extension ,
Off course screen was plugged and a plethora of junk in the bottom of the case , on another note , I’ll be posting on this , the gasket and power shuttle rebuild kit are impossible to find I. Canada , any of my American friends know where to find these ? I’d rather stay away from gasket maker and would have to pretty excact to make one ,
Try www.brokentractor. com