• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580c best way to go about removing big screw

Mike450136

im trying to replace some seals since i have oil leaking into where my brake drums are. i figured i would do both sides. I tried a impact gun with a 1/2 inch drive drag link adapter but the screw head just gets deformed.
IMG_20220523_191510768.jpg

nova481

Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
I had to drill both sides out to remove them. Then I replaced them with this and anti-seize so it had the hole already started if they had to be drilled out again.

images

Jonas302

Heat cycling with a cutting torch will help immensely Air hammer would be the next trick https://www.amazon.com/Pneumatic-At...8c-bd9f-1002604ab448&pd_rd_i=B09CDHRK85&psc=1 The vibrations go along ways to breaking the bond
You could recut the slot with a die grinder cutting wheel

And a not to sharp pointed chisel in an air hammer can push it around counter clockwise you would be surprised what that will unscrew

Even some sharp hits with a 3 pound hammer on an extension and your drag link socket is worth a try but not as good as an air hammer

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
Have done hundreds, sorry to disagree with thepumpguy, I know he will forgive me, but heat the screw head red hot, let it cool and it will screw out easily

Mike450136

I was too nervous to get the screw red hot if oil might be on the other side so i drilled the screw head off. I wonder how important it is to put those screws back in anyway? Maybe i should leave them out if it all gets held by the bolts on the outside anyway?