• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580ck broken valve spring

flyingfrog509

Well got my new to me Case 580ck. Had the previous owner run it for about 35-45 minutes, checked the oil, checked everything it all seemed OK. Got it delivered and two hours into digging out stumps I hear a noise from the engine.

To make the story short I found a broken valve intake valve spring on #2. Valve seems ok, both pieces of the spring stayed on the guide, & both retaining clip 1/2s were stuck in the "mud" per say.

Q1) So with all of that said, does any one know how to check the compression on cyl #2? Don't have a spark plug hole like a gasser.

Q2) I'm wanting to just replace the springs with the head still on in an attempt to just get some more work done before having to do an engine rebuild. Is this just a really bad idea? Engine starts up perfectly (even when the spring was broken) Any steps I should take here?

Q3) How much of the oil sludge should I clean off the top of the head & with what? I'm planning on changing the oil just in case stuff falls down into the engine.

Q4) Should I drop the oil pan, clean it up, & check for metal chunks?

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
Q1) Buy the proper tool, or have one made, I made one using an old injector, gauge, and check valve. There are 2 different types of injectors used on that engine. The pencil type can come out very hard. I can post a picture of mine, if needed.The injector hole is the only place to check compression.
Q2) No. Just replace the broken spring. Make sure the piston on that cylinder is right at the top, before applying air pressure. A sharp rap on the retainer is usually necessary to break the taper 'lock' the 2 keepers(retaining clips) have, between the retainer and the valve. You will have to make a tool or buy one to compress the spring. The old valve seal can offer resistance, when removing the retainer, even with the keepers out.
Q3) I wouldn't touch it, no point really if you are planning a rebuild. Black sludge is usually a sign of a tired engine, or neglected engine(oil changes), or both. Clean the valve cover up if you like. Just a gentle wipe with a rag where the valve cover seats.
Q4) No need, even if a piece of valve spring drops down, it won't cause any damage in the bottom of the oil pan. Phil:)

turbotech

You may also want to put a magnetic oil pan drain in it, or put a magnet on the oil pan if you are worried about broken steel floating around. Maybe put a new valve seal on it if a dealer is close by.

Once you air up the cyl you will hear air coming out the valve if it got wacked. I don't see the need for a compression check.

flyingfrog509

Well missing a piece

Any one know where to get the round metal cap that goes on top of a valve spring on a 188cui diesel? It appears that some how in pulling all the parts off I misplaced the one that was on the broken spring. I checked to see if it broke and went down into the engine...but doesn't look like it. I'll bet it just got thrown in with the bolts and spilled out some where.

Either way I need to find one now.

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
I have one if you can't find one anywhere else. Just picked up a damaged but repairable G188 head in the scrap yard. CNH seems to show the retainer part# G11927, as a set of 4 retainers. Must not be reading that right. Phil:)