• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580D backhoe attachment compatible with 580C?

DirtyHoe

Hi,
I'm looking at a used 580D backhoe attachment for my 580C. Will it bolt right on my 580C without any modifications? This one is in good shape and mine needs a lot of repairs. Also it has hand controls, and due to a leg injury I'm struggling with the foot swing. So this would be a nice upgrade if it would fit right on.

Thanks,
Steve

DirtyHoe

I noticed in the parts manual the upper link which secures the backhoe to the tractor is different.
I also noticed the 580D hydraulic system has a higher pressure than the 580C. That probably won't be a big issue.

Steve

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
The 580D uses a tandem hydraulic pump which the power steering runs off the main hyd. system with a steering relief valve attached to the frame on right side under the machine. The swing tower is a bit different in that it has bushings in it, but pin sizes are the same. The upper pin can be swapped out and the 580D boom lock can be used or you can change out the swing tower itself.

DirtyHoe

The boom has a weld repair. Is this a known problem spot or concern? Is this a casting hole? With a flashlight I can see from the inside maybe an inch hairline crack where they did not get enough penetration. The outside looks solid. Apparenty this is a cast steel boom and welding is not an issue based on the obvious factory welds?
I found no other cracks and overall it is in good shape. Bushings are tight for its age.

Steve

Attachments

• 20180517_160940.jpg
    20180517_160940.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 32

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
I saw your photo and have seen that same repair a bunch of times on different machines. I think that damage was caused by a worn boom bumper, when you went to travel position and locked the boom up if the rubber bumper was worn or damaged it would allow the boom to bang against the swing tower and cause stress in that area. So just keep your bumper in good shape and bushing not too loose and it should be good. And of course keep an eye on it.

Theweldor

Occupation
The Village Idiot
I have repaired a few over the years. Keep the bushings tight and greased. I wouldn't worry about the small hairline crack you can see on the inside. It is a tough cal as to how much to grind out and it may have needed a bit more to get full penetration. Just check it on occasion to make sure it is not getting any worse. I have never had one come back after welding.