• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580k phase 3 front planetary disassembly

mitch504

The machine is an early 580k phase 3, I think it's before all the serial number breaks. The serial number is in my truck, and it is pouring. I have all the books on this machine.

I have to replace a front wheel bearing and seal. The hub had a lot of magnetic dust in it, I guess from bearing wear. The wheel bearings and the bushing the axle rides in are shot, all of the planetary parts look real good. Everything came apart slick until I got to the ring gear and it's hub. That's when it got strange.

According to the book, the ring gear hub is held on by 4 bushings with bolts through them, and to remove it, you pull the 4 bolts and screw them in the alternate holes to use them as jack screws. They just head up and don't touch bottom, Longer bolts have the same thread length and run out of threads before touching bottom.

I cut some pieces of a smaller, softer bolt, about 3/4" long. I slipped them into the holes, and the bolts engaged a few threads before it touched bottom. As I screwed the bolts in, it felt like my spacers pushed into something, I guess the holes were full of steel powder. The bolts tightened up about 1/8" before they headed up. The ring gear never moved.

The book says after jacking out the ring gear, you pull the outer planetary case (wheel hub) off the spindle with a puller jacking on the end of the axle. I went ahead and set this up while the jack bolts were tight. The case pulled up against the back of the ring gear, so I went ahead and pulled all I could with my big Snap-on puller. I then beat on the back of the case with a big brass hammer. Nothing moved but me, I went home.

After thinking about it, my questions are: Why are the jack bolt holes so deep? As deep as the threads are in the holes, is it working as a jack bolt? Is the hub of the ring gear that thick?

I think I'll take the jack bolts out and put the puller back on. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll heat and cool the bushings that hold the ring gear hub to the spindle. If that doesn't work, I will probably drill the bushings out to 1/16 thick.

I know some of you have done this before and I really hope you can tell me I am being stupid. I promise, if you point out that I am missing something easy, you can say anything you want and I'll just smile and wave.

I had this same planetary apart 20 years ago, but I don't remember why. I don't think I went so deep as to pull the ring gear out. I was pleased to see I had coated all the fasteners with never-sneeze. After 20 yrs of fertilizer and saltwater, they looked rough, but unscrewed easily.

Thanks guys,
Mitch

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
The ring gear should have threaded holes for jack bolts, probably just two, so you can pull the gear. If you are not contacting the swivel housing with the bolts then you have other issues. Can you post a pic please.

mitch504

It is truly amazing how easy it comes apart when you put the jackscrews in the right holes.

Thanks Coy!

mitch504

You know, there is a bunch of nice guys on HEF. If this had been any of you, I'd have been giving you a ration of feces over it, but this is really nice of y'all.

PS. I knew it was a simple screw up, I've had these apart before, but I had to get a wire brush to find the right holes.

mitch504

Well, that's why I think this is real nice of y'all, cause I'm usually one of the first to reach in my pocket for the rock.