• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580K what to look for?

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
We had a 2000 Case 580Super L2, I swear by L's. The newer K's are ok, but the L's are the way to go. 4,100hours on it, it was well maintained, only 2 operators, and it worked hard, never had one major problem. Only problem we had was muffle mount bolts.

Majority of guys I know who have years more on Cases than me swear by the L's. I'd spend the extra money to get a low houred 580Super L, I know I will when the time comes for me to buy my own backhoe. 580l's are to light and on the small side but good for lighter work. Stay away from 1995's, only year I heard had problems with the tranny.

Id go with an E or L.

DarrylMueller

Occupation
Excavating Contractor & Operator
I had a 580 Super E bought new kept it 17 years never had any hydraulic leaks, just a external seal in the shuttle very easy fix. 8900 hrs. mostly hoe ram and drilling. 580 Super L Series 2 is the great machine to buy.

kub3130

Interesting...leaving in a few minutes to go check one out. I talked to the owner a few minutes ago and he said he ha just left to go get everything warmed up. I asked him to wait because I wanted to see it cold. He seemed suprised...

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
Good idea, look at the machine "AS IS." Same filters hopefully with the last dates changed, not pressurewashed, see how the machine was kept before it's dolled up.

kub3130

Here's what we found:

1991 super k, standard bucket and hoe, ROPS, 3939hrs.
Engine was warm - guy had already started it up, kinda ticked me off cause I asked to see cold start???
Engine started and ran fine
Injector pump leaking around the throttle shaft
Brakes went to the floor - stopped smoothly, no chatter. Noticed oil on firewall under the pedals -
checked fluid, almost empty appeared to be leaking from right master cylinder
Hydraulics strong - easily lifted tractor at idle with loader and hoe
Extended hoe parallel to ground, shut engine off-could push hoe about 12"
Machine was on a slight incline boom was slowly drifting downhill
Took the machine out on the road, shuttle shifted fine, clutch disconnects work, all 4 gears work forward and reverse
Noticed moderate blowby after road trip, also noticed white smoke when in 3rd and 4th

What are your thoughts - are these normal wear items or would you pass on this machine?

Deere John

Occupation
Professional Forester
Pass - for these reasons:

standard hoe - there are lots of e-hoes available in this economy
with the blowby you talked of, the hour meter is not correct
sounds like there are brake and fuel system issues,
and most of all,

He didn't respect your wish to see and start it cold. That's a biggie in my book.

DarrylMueller

Occupation
Excavating Contractor & Operator
Look there are lots of good machines for sale. Standard hoe why buy? We are in a buyers market, get a machine that will always be in hi demand. extenda hoe, 4 x 4, 4 in 1 bucket, a cab is always a plus. And needs no repairs, unless you want to do that and, all the costs and time running for parts. Go to the swing post first and then look at the rods on cylinders, that will tell 50% of what kind of shape it's i Then the power train and the seals.

insleyboy

Occupation
Operator 25 years, was laborer for 7 years
I'm with you on all the "extra's" Darryl, except for the 4in1 bucket. That subject has aired many times in this forum. My feeling is it's too heavy, too clumsy and I personally cant get a good feel on the backdrag with the heavy bucket as much as the standard one. 580k model with the 4x4 the extendahoe and a full cab is a good machine. The super E models 580 and 590 are just a bigger seller around here. You see them everywhere and hardly ever a 4 in 1!

kub3130

Did you buy it?

No, we didn't buy it. Went back a second time to start it cold. Showed up 30 minutes before we were supposed to be there. It was about 29 degrees and engine was warm. Left before the owner showed up. Passed him on the road, he called wanted to know where we were going. Told him I didn't deal with dishonest people.

We found a 331x bobcat mini x from an honest guy in a tight spot. Bought it. Spent some cash on some overdue maintenance items. Been using it ever since and absolutely love it. Need a track loader to go with it

Wayne S

I have a 580K trying to reach 3 posts to get injector pump/fuel delivery questions answered. Thanks.

bewilliams

Occupation
general contractor, roofing, excavation
My case 580 super k doesnt want to climb a hill in 4th and it makes an awful vibration in 3rd and 4th. do you guys think my trans in going and do you think the vibration is from the u joints or from bald, i mean really bald tires? I just bought it and i didint even try 3rd and 4th. it can push great in 1st and pretty much all of my uses for it will be low speed! I was hoping to not have to trailer it for close jobs though! I am planning on getting new tires soon but i want to see what its gonna take to get it going good before I drop a grand on tires.

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
I wouldnt worry, depending on how steep the hill, the machine will dog down. Use a lower gear. If it pushes fine in 1st and second than your fine. Bald tires will be smooth, new tires especicially with treads that have sqaure edges will vibrate like crazy.

Last edited:

bewilliams

Occupation
general contractor, roofing, excavation
ok thank you! the guy i bought it from seemed to baby the machine! I looked at around 20 backhoes and this was the cleanest with with only 5100 hrs, original paint only 1 spot of rust where loader arm attaches to frame, looks like it was welded.

dixon700

Occupation
heavy truck mechanic
Going to go look at a 580k and a superk on Tuesday. Both have full cabs, 4x4, and 4 In 1 buckets. The super has an e - how and appeared to be newer and in better shape. Will try to do a very thorough inspection Tuesday morning

rickw

Control conversion is easy. I converted my SuperL from 2 stick to 4 stick. I bought a 4 stick set up from ESI in cambridge OH. They mailed it to me and I sent my controls back to them. It is the whole tower, unbolt it from the floor, pull the clevis pins, bolt new one to the floor and put clevis pins back in. Pretty minor job. Cost me about 250-300 bucks

Bill Smith

Occupation
Rental House Owner
I went from a 3 lever foot swing to a 2 stick ,it took a bit to get on to it .But I would not go back to multiple sticks . I find it quicker and more smooth

dixon700

Occupation
heavy truck mechanic
Using the hydraulic latch is weird took about 3 or 4 tries lol. I ended up getting the 580sk for more than I wanted to pay, but it only had 3800hrs. 4 in 1 bucket, e - hoe, heat, a/c cab, floor pan patched, decent original paint, ok tires, strong motor. I paid 19.5k minus the 5k for my kubota that's broke in half. I did get them to throw in full service, new batteries, new floor mat, and delivery. Heck filters 3 gal engine oil and like 30 gal hydraulic oil will be worth it. I should of checked to see if the a/c worked though...