• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

655C Backhoe Hydraulic Pressure Supply Line Repair

BackertheBiker

I fear I may have a big job ahead of me. I've got an early 90's 655C that has developed a hydraulic leak under the rear of the machine. Wanted to hear if anyone has removed the main metal backhoe pressure supply line that goes from the main filter and distribution manifold on the right side below the front of the cab, back to the backhoe control valves. I think we're looking at item #6 in the diagram, but this doesn't show the actual complexity of the situation. This large metal line runs under the cab, above the rear axle assembly, back to the backhoe control valves. Mine appears to be leaking directly above the rear axle housing, gushing hydraulic fluid down onto the axle housing.

I believe I can weld this up if I can get it out - I've successfully welded a couple other metal hydraulic lines on the machine. Question is - how does this come out? Does the damn cab need to come off? Or does it slide out the back somehow, above the control valves? Doesn't seem to be enough room there. I haven't taken a good look at it - just happened last night and I didn't have time to dig in. Trying to see what the experienced minds here know, to help me out and make sure I go down the correct path to getting this thing out when I get home later.

Hydraulic Line.PNG

Last edited:

eKretz

Probably going to be a tough one. As I understand it, the line from the pump goes straight to the loader valve block, then through the loader valve block and out a power beyond port to the backhoe valve block. I have a Ford 555D, and I think my machine has a removable floor pan under the cab, which comes out if you remove the seat and back guard rail. I'm not sure if the C and earlier has that also. If not, you might be looking at cab removal if you can not finagle the line out otherwise.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
Yeah, as much as i'd like to fix it, i don't think i could justify that amount of disassembly time.
More than likely your not going to get a 2 or 4 wire hose where it is in a great spot though.
Tough call, might have to pull the cab off, or cut up the floor.

BackertheBiker

I’m happy to report that the 655C does in fact have some access panels in the floor of the cab. It has a rubber floor mat in it, so I never saw them and the thought completely escaped me that such a thing may exist. Thank you all for the time saver!

In fact, I don’t think I could have gotten this job done without an access panel. It was a real PITA the way it is..

I found that there was a clamp in there under the cab above the differential holding the lines in place. It’s one of those 2-hose clamps, metal plate goes over two lines with a bolt going down through the center. The clamp was loose, allowing the lines to move and causing wear to the point they wore through. The divot you see in one of the pics is from the line rubbing on the bolt that goes through the middle of the clamp..

I can weld it up, no big problem there. But the question is: do I put these metal lines back in, or go with a rubber hose? Would a rubber hose have better resistance to rubbing through like this? I’m guessing not - these steel lines are probably better?

Attachments

• IMG_1597.jpeg
    IMG_1597.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1594.jpeg
    IMG_1594.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1604.jpeg
    IMG_1604.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1605.jpeg
    IMG_1605.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6

eKretz

I'm glad it turned out that your machine had the removable floor pan section, I bet that was a huge relief! I'd stick with steel for the lines, but I'd give them a cushion wrap this time of some rubber or plastic fitted inside the clamp and bored to fit the lines and split in half across the bore centers so if they ever come loose again they don't rub through.