• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

67 580 CK loader wont lift backhoe wont lift???

Freedom6178

Hey guys I'm having an issue with my 580ck. I was using it to transfer some dirt from my pond I just dug to our trail ends :D . OK so what would have been the second to last run I had it in 3rd gear low (std clutch) and kinda gave her (full throttle) only for a half a min or so to get to the nearest trail. I dumped that load but didn't spread it out. I headed back to what was left of the dirt. I tilted the bucket shy of full dump to scrape the remainder into a pile all was good till i wanted to do it again but the bucket would not raise. I tried the Backhoe too and it is the same way. Now it technically would go up a fraction each time I'd pull the lever back and it sounded to me like the fluid was going into bypass but all this is pretty new to me tho I know some of hydraulics due to my work. I thought OK old mach i have some seeping hoses and cylinders maybe I'm low on hyd fluid I added some but it wasn't to low. hurm I'll check the filter (Oh what a mess haha opps there went a good amount of fluid on the ground :( ) Well the filter was pretty dirty AND low and behold whats this small chunks of some orange rubbery stuff wait its whats left of an O-ring now where could that have come from :beatsme . Well now I'm stuck :confused: where to begin looking?? This was a fairly thick o-ring I measured it to be 3/16" thick and if the curve of it was anything to determine the size it would have been pretty large too probably in the 2" to 3" range purely a guess hard to tell when the chunks are about half an inch long max. Any Ideas where to begin looking? I have a new filter otw. (Note: the machine in up north about 3 hrs away so I wont get to try anything till the weekend)
Thanks in advance

planecrazzzy

Occupation
Operator , Cert Welder , Class "A" Truck Driver
Follow the Inlet tubing ? It should lead you to the source I would think...
Gotta Fly...

mikey1

Occupation
local truck driver
my 580b does that sometimes, i will be ready to lift dump whatever and the hydro's wont be working I wait a bit and they start again, I have no clue what causes this, I am hoping the pump isnt going out. Sorry I couldnt tell you what is going on with it.

oldseabee

Occupation
Retired
An O ring that size probably came from a cylinder or from between pump sections or valve sections. The main relief valve is 2 stage and the first stage is a small poppet, It only takes a small piece of debris caught in the poppet to cause the main to dump back to tank. I have backed the main relief adjustment way off (be sure to count the turns so you can get it set back where it belongs), started up machine and operated any function at high idle for just a moment, then reset the relief to see if the debris has blown out and allowed the relief to operate normally. Having tried that, its pretty easy to do whithout opening up the system, You may have to pull the relief cartridge out and check for missing orings, broken springs, or other damage. If that fixed it you need to track down where the o ring came from or you will get the same result. If it came from a cylinder that should be pretty easy to find. Pump or valve sections are usually sealed with square (Quad) rings, but at that age who knows what is in there. You could have a broken shaft in the pump, I try to do the easy stuff first before taking off components. Three things affect all functions, Main relief, pump. primary valve.

Last edited:

Freedom6178

Well, I replaced the filter and topped off the fluid this weekend but still nothing working :( (I was hoping that was the issue). I had started to back out the relief screw and was counting only got to 2 turns out then thought I might not wana do that so I set it back (remember I'm a bit new to this kind of system) so this next weekend I will try that. The bucket will go up a bit at a time if I "jerk" the handle back in quick succession that makes me think its debris caught in the poppet, I hope. I also tend to think the shaft isn't broken because of this, but if there is some form of shear bolt, key, or coupler I could see that being a problem. Thank you for all your suggestions and reply's. I have a book that shows the valve so hopefully I can get it fixed. thanks again. :usa . I'll try to keep you posted.. Good luck Mikey with your problem hope its not a pump.

Freedom6178

THANK YOU oldseabee :notworthy that did the trick. And I'm pretty sure what o-ring is bad. Now that everything works again, I'm seeing the main boom lift cylinder is leaking down faster than ever. I figure only part of that o-ring came apart. I'll try to tear it down this weekend and see if I can tell. Again thank you..