• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

6BTA Cummins Head Torque Specs.

steve931

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
I need torque spec's on 6bt cummins 12 valve head and sequence if anyone has them,thank's steve931:beatsme:usa

totalloser

Occupation
Groundwork/Fabrication
This is the sequence for a 12 valve 5.9 liter 6bt in a pickup. I drew it for copyright reasons. The book says work up to 70 foot pounds in 3 steps. I would probably go 40, 60, 70. It also says use "light oil" on the threads. I use antisieze to get more accurate torque readings (less friction bindup). Be careful where you get it if you do (especially the fuel system)

Attachments

• P4210013.JPG
    P4210013.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 3,704

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
That looks like the pattern for all the B series Cummins engine I've worked on. The torque specs are different than I have done though. Most torque to a certain point and then turn the bolt two flats. I don't remember for sure but I know a standard half inch drive twelve point socket will not take that tension for too many bolts before it strips.

Good Luck!

totalloser

Occupation
Groundwork/Fabrication
Good point. If you have a 3.4 liter "A" series, please disregard this! My source is for the 5.9 out of a Haynes service manual.