• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

773G Delayed Start

bgirls

Occupation
IT director, Transportation director
We have a 773G with 416 hours. We bought it 2 years ago with 249 hours. Until a year ago it would start normal, what i mean by normal is when the key was turned on it would beep and count down for the glow plugs if needed. The problem is now you turn the key switch on and the right panel of indicator lights all light up and stay lit, i mean ALL, the left panel is lifeless, the hour meter and gauges do nothing. Turning the key to the start position does nothing. At approx. 3.5 minutes the left panel lights up, the gauges activate and checking for codes on the hour meter it shows "none". At this point it will start and run flawlessly all day long. Still no beeping or glow plug warm up. I discovered last week while investigating this problem that if running and i turn the key off and right back on while the engine is still shutting down it will beep and do the glow plug count down and start at that point. If you turn the key off and wait for the engine to completly stop i have to wait approx. 3.5 minutes again before all comes to life.
I have replaced the key switch, removed the control module to check and clean, removed both overhead panels looking for loose or broken wires, removed and replaced the relays in a different socket below the seat. I bought a service manual and have been reading and researching to no avail, please Help.

shane

Occupation
Independent Field Service
1. Check your battery voltage while running, should be about 14.5V or so.

2. Check all your ground wires, in clusters by the battery, and a strap under the cab.

3. If you have an attachment control cable, try unplugging it by the battery and see what happens. A damaged cable makes thing go crazy sometimes.

4. Get your dealer to re-program your controller if all else fails. If he's decent, and you take it in, he can send a guy out and do it on your trailer. Takes 5 minutes and a box of donuts.

Anything else probably requires deep probing mystery diagnostics, as my doctor calls it:eek:

bgirls

Occupation
IT director, Transportation director
1. Check your battery voltage while running, should be about 14.5V or so.

2. Check all your ground wires, in clusters by the battery, and a strap under the cab.

3. If you have an attachment control cable, try unplugging it by the battery and see what happens. A damaged cable makes thing go crazy sometimes.

4. Get your dealer to re-program your controller if all else fails. If he's decent, and you take it in, he can send a guy out and do it on your trailer. Takes 5 minutes and a box of donuts.

Anything else probably requires deep probing mystery diagnostics, as my doctor calls it:eek:

Thanks for the reply, i will check the voltage and grounds tommorow a.m.