• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

8.2 detroit diesel help

Hermit

I have one of the dreaded "Hate 2" detroit diesel in my 1985 Ford truck. I cannot locate any mechanics familiar with this engine in my area and that leaves me to try to work on it. Would anybody have a shop manual they would be willing to share with me? It seems it has been dumping fuel into the oil and I believe it finally collected enough in one of the cylinders to lock the engine. Coolant level has not dropped is the reason I am leaning toward fuel instead of coolant.

To work on this thing, it seems I will have to pull injectors, but I don't have the tools necessary to do this job. With only 1 truck that may blow up any day I cannot justify the expense of the nice Snap On timing set that is recommended. I have read something about some rods to measure the injector height, but have only found a couple brief references to them and no mention of how to use them or where they would be available.

I wish I could afford an engine swap, but with a 35 year old truck that I use a few times a year on the farm, I cannot justify the expense of another engine.

Other than dropping it in the lake and using it for an anchor, does anybody have any suggestions?

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I see the Snap-On M3563 Diesel-Timing-Gauge on EBay In the $350 range. I don't know of a way to get around not using the gauge. Your fuel leak is probably the injector o-rings. There are plenty of free PDF versions of the manual on the interwebs you can download. Still a few hardy souls in the marine world keeping these things going.

56wrench

in a pinch, i have used the end of a vernier dial caliper to set the injector height. if i remember correctly, there are different settings for some of the injectors on the same engine. that is to say, all of the injectors on a particular engine are not set to the same spec

Delmer

just one injector? rig up whatever it takes to get the measurement right, even nick the threads and count turns on an adjusting nut. file a piece of steel the right measurement, whatever to get it close enough, you'll never know the difference.

Hermit

I see the Snap-On M3563 Diesel-Timing-Gauge on EBay In the $350 range. I don't know of a way to get around not using the gauge. Your fuel leak is probably the injector o-rings. There are plenty of free PDF versions of the manual on the interwebs you can download. Still a few hardy souls in the marine world keeping these things going.

Coaldust, thanks for the quick reply. Maybe I had the wrong info as I was told previously the Snap On M3558 was the gauge needed. That one is running $600 and up. I'll have to really study to see about that cost as well as this is a farm truck used only a few hundred miles each year. If it needs a set of injectors or the engine is too damaged, it may be cheaper to part it out and hire work. I searched the web and still have not found the manual for the 8.2. I thought I found it and was reading on the valve train/injector system then realized I was reading about a 6 cylinder engine. That is why I decided to ask for help locating the manual.

I really appreciate any info regarding this engine and any suggestions.

Hermit

When I looked at the Snap On gauge used, I had the same thoughts regarding the caliper. Is there a label on the engine that gives the height of the injectors? I found a label with the valve lash but probably don't know what I am looking for on the injector height.

I am also not certain about the bad injectors. I can say it smoked really badly, even when warm, and smelled as if there was too much fuel being burnt. I actually found another engine this morning. The owner showed me a video he said was the engine running and he also said it smoked a little when cold then cleared up quite a bit when it warmed up. I bought the thing to try a swap, figuring it would be easier to work on my engine out of the truck. I'm just getting a little too old to twist around under a hood. Being in my 60's, things just don't bend the way they used to.

Thanks for all the replies. Most people claim I am beyond help and, from what I hear, this engine is too. I guess we were made for each other.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
O-rings around injector(s), change one set may as well do ALL eight as they are ALL coming due and little way to determine which single unit could be leaking as could be multiple. Get exchange injectors while at it.

Why trade one bad unit for a unknown MAYBE Bad or going to fail early unit?