• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

8.3 cummins, Construction VS. Truck application?

Silveroddo

Hey there, wondering if anyone knows what the differences between an 8.3 Cummins in a construction application vs truck applications would be. I've got a Champion blade with a 670T Allis motor that's really turns out to be a pooch, I have another one with an 8.3 cummins and love that one. I've found a late 80's ford f-800 box truck w/ 200k on it that seems reasonable, but I'm wondering what a guy would run into in retrofitting the motor itself? Just an idea I'm toying with, not sure it would be worth the trouble but its gotten the wheels turning. BTW, the other blade also started out life with a 670T and was repowered at some point with the Cummins, so I know its possible....... But the key would be doing it economically
Thanks for any thoughts

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
Usually the fuel system is the biggest difference in the motors. Auto app pumps are generally top speed limiting and industrial pumps are variable speed governing. Motors have been swapped out of trucks for years into equipment with varying amounts of success, often torque rise is different so you may feel a difference. The problem is lack of a variable speed gov. unless it has a torque converter driven accessory gov. like Galion used.

ETER

Realizing this is probably not much help, but I had a champion 720 with an industrial 8.3 in the shop last year that lost the front gear housing due to a loose hyd pump, (broke the cam, did other front gear and top end damage). At the time I had a mid 90's ford L8000 with a decent running 8.3 with ATA cooler. Thought about switching out the engines but had a concern with the different fuel pumps (industrial being governed and automotive not?) which the led to the injection timing differences if the pump and injectors were switched etc. Ultimately the customer opted to repair the original engine and took me off the hook for swapping out the two. Should the need ever come about again, I would also be curious to know the details involved with putting an automotive 8.3 into an industrial application.
Regards, Bob