• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

8087-7899 Detroit engine and transmission ?

crane operator

I think those are the ones for the all wheel drive tank transporter tractors.

They say fuel mileage is like 2 gallons to the mile loaded up with a abrams.

240px-Defense.gov_photo_essay_090630-A-3843C-334.jpg

There's been some of these selling military surplus and I see some guys making heavy haul rigs out of them, but I think only the military could afford to keep fuel in one.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I think those are the ones for the all wheel drive tank transporter tractors.

They say fuel mileage is like 2 gallons to the mile loaded up with a abrams.

240px-Defense.gov_photo_essay_090630-A-3843C-334.jpg

There's been some of these selling military surplus and I see some guys making heavy haul rigs out of them, but I think only the military could afford to keep fuel in one.

That would be nice to pull a big 5th wheel camper.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member

I saw one hauling a Cat to some fire here locally last year. It was painted white. It was hauling a D6 or D7. The Cat looked very small for the power unit. It was some fire contractor but I can't figure how he is allowed to use that power unit in this state. Maybe because he uses it for fire only, there is an exemption for that. But even so those military engines never had emissions certification even to the year they were built. They have a decal that says national security exemption or something.

crane operator

There was a big deal a few years ago where the epa stopped all military surplus truck sales because none of the trucks were epa certified. I don't know what got worked out (gov't lawyers- fighting gov't lawyers-in front of a federal judge- all being paid by us- yes america!), but they started selling them about 6 months later again.

I would be interested to know if the new oshkosh trucks that use the c-18 have all the emissions equipment on them, or if they have their own version. i was at a base a while back loading some stuff up and they were changing the starter on one, but I didn't think to look.

Of the surplus ones, there's one by me for sale right now, but he's been sitting on it a long time. High 5th wheel height, expensive tires and drivetrain to keep up, horrible mileage. Just not a real useful rig for most guys.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Sounds like an engine and drive train only a government could love.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I don't know, that might actually be a good engine and transmission for somebody...8V92 DDEC2 at 450 or 500 hp with a HT740, back when electronics were somewhat helpful and reliable maybe?