• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

83/84 Case 580SE dry brake disk info

syndy

Occupation
Retired
I just purchased a set of brake disk for my backhoe. Here is a little background, it may save you some work.

At the beginning of last year I pulled the disk(s) out of my right brake as it was leaking oil. Bought them back to FL and used brake cleaner to degrease them. Actually soaked them over and over in a sealed pan until they seemed clean and free of oil. Went back to NC. in the fall and installed them with a new seal. NO BRAKES! Not even a whisper of a drag when the pedal was pressed and I could see all the linkage moving properly. Airman suggested to me that the lining may be worn and that there was no contact. (Yes the actuating balls were fine in the ramp plates). One thing I failed to do was to measure how thick the disk were and now the machine sits in my barn in NC while I stay warm in FL wondering just how thick they are.

Well here is info on new disks if anyone needs to know. They are 8" in dia and .440" thk new. In May when I remove the old ones I will see just how worn they are. By memory I would guess about 1/4" thk each. They were not working when I bought the hoe and had not worked for 7 years with the old owner. See photo below.
8519414436_832e92bde2_z.jpg
Also here is a link to a larger photo if anyone needs to see it. http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8241/8519414436_dc20c22d8b_o.jpg