• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

86 D4H series 2 ems

cfisher05

I have an 86 D4h , serial # 9DB00424 that as soon as you turn the key on the buzzer sounds and lights lite up on the ems module
There are 10 lights in total and the 4 that are blank light up as well as hydraulic oil temp and power train filter
The sensor at the hydraulic filter was tested and is good the same with what I believe is a sensor and something that monitors the trans filter, both good
Not sure if anyone has had a problem like this before or what to check or do next to get this problem solved

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Do all the lights go out and does the buzzer stop as soon as the EMS finishes its self-test.?
The EMS is used on a wide variety of models, some of which will use all 10 lights for various warnings. Irrespective of application all the lights should flash during the self-test.

Do you have an Operation & Maintenance Manual for it.?

cfisher05

No as soon as you turn key on without starting the buzzer and the lights previously mentioned are on solid and stay on, then start it up and the same thing continues
No manual

Nige

So it suddenly went from working normally when you turn the key on to all the lights and buzzer not turning off after the self-test.?
Two things I can think of that either the contacts on the EMS test siwtch (button?) are stuck or the EMS panel itself is toast.

cfisher05

Is there a way that I can test the panel before getting a new one, just to make sure that’s the problem cause I’m sure they are expensive
Thanks for all your help

cfisher05

The test button doesn’t seem to be working either , u can hit the switch and not all the lights light up the panel just stays the same all the time with the buzzer going off

Nige

I'll send you a copy of the electrical schematic. That will enable you to see how the test switch interacts with the monitor panel and let you test everything else before condemning the monitor. The Part Number is 3T-9100 which will allow you to search for one.

On machines without a cab it is not unusual for the Operator Monitor to eventually get water in it. You have a machine that is coming up on being 40 years old so it would not be unexpected.

The Operation & Maintenance Manual for your machine is Cat Publication reference SEBU6013. It can be downloaded or purchased on CD from Cat for $49, or for $57 in paper form.

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
check that the fuel pressure switch or its wiring is ok. as it gives an engine running condition to the ems system
Mark