• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

863 foot pedals not working

CHG

I was hoping that someone might be able to help me with my current problem. I have a 2001 863 which has been a great machine. We've only had a handful of problems over the last sixteen years. Yesterday on the job site the foot pedals stopped unlocking upon startup. The machine starts right up, forward and reverse is normal, all lights are on indicating everything is unlocked, you can hear the solenoids actuate but the pedals stay locked. The exclamation point is illuminated. I spoke with the local bobcat dealer (which wasn't very helpful) they said the the lock out valve is usually the problem so I replaced that and it produced no results. I can't find information on how to retrieve diagnostic codes so I'm not sure if and what they are. Hopefully someone on here has some information that they would be willing to share. We're in the middle of an installation, the dealership is booked up and the thought of renting one is bothersome. I'm fairly experienced when it comes to general mechanical work, can read schematics and know how to test circuits, but without a service manual or schematics it hard to find a starting point. Any help would be appreciated.

3rdgendslmech

Not sure about your specific model but I had a S250 do the same thing. It ended up being a bad BICS solenoid on the control valve. If you gave it voltage direct from the battery it would unluck but had gotten weak and wouldnt unlock under it's own power.
Again, not sure for your specific model but if they just unscrew and have a o-ring base, you can take them out and replace them with a regular hydraulic O-ring plug you can find at most hose shops to get you out of a pinch.

CHG

The BICS solenoid tested fine. Problem ended up being a spool lock or pedal lock solenoid. The machine was putting out the code 18-06 which meant spool lock short to ground. Both of the two spool lock solenoids were reading 7.7 ohms, well within range. I then traced the wires back to the controller and all was good. I rechecked the solenoids when I couldn't find an issue with any of the wires and I got a resistance reading of 1.9 ohms on one of them. That same solenoid then gave a reading of 7.7 ohms again. Replaced it and everything works. I had no idea that a solenoid could produce variable readings. Hopefully this helps someone else. I had a hard time finding good information on this. A bad BICS would do the same thing. Also for anyone searching, to get the codes, with the key on, you hold the button for the lights for two seconds. Any stored codes will appear in the screen.